'34 FORD COUPE LEFTOVERS

model40fan Monday, 5/20/2013

I NEEDED THE LIGHTS, GRILL AND ENGINE FOR THE H.W. VALUE TOPIC... HAD TO HOT ROD THE PARTS...
1.STASH THE FENDERS AND SEAT...
2.CUT THE HOOD OFF FLUSH WITH THE COWL'S PEG...
3.WITH A HACKSAW, CUT A SLOT ALONG THE COWL TOP, DOWN ABOUT 1/16" [TO BE THE OFFSET IN THE STOCK FIREWALL]...
4.FILE AWAY THE HOOD TOP THAT IS LEFT ON THE COWL...
5.FILE AWAY THE BURRS ON BOTH ATTACHING PEGS...
6.WITH A SMALL KNIFE [CAREFULLY] INSERT AND ROTATE IN THE BASE'S PEG HOLES AND ENLARGE THEM SLIGHTLY, SO THE BODY CAN DROP THE THICKNESS OF THE REMOVED FENDERS AND RUNNING BOARDS...
Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
7.TRIM ABOUT 1/16" OFF THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE ENGINE...
8.FILE AWAY THE WEB FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE GRILL TO THE ENGINE..
9.REMOVE THE REAR BUMPER, SAVE THE PEG HOLE...
10.DRILL 1/16" J.B.QUICK HOLES UNDER THE AXLES...
11.BY REMOVING THE FENDERS THE WHEEL WELLS WILL LET LARGE 5 SPOKES FIT...
12.WITH A COPING SAW/BLADE NARROW WAY S FAST'S FRONT WHEELS...
13.J.B QUICK THE AXLES IN...
14.USE A GOOD BLACK MARKER OR MATCHING PAINT TO COVER THE REMOVED HOOD TOP'S EXPOSED DIECAST...
15.WITH A BLACK SHARPIE BLACKEN THE LOW POINTS OF THE HEADERS AND OR BLOWER, QUICKLY WIPE THE BLACK FROM THE HEADERS, THE LITTLE YOU CAN'T REACH GIVES A REAL LOOK TO THE CHROME HEADERS OR BLOWER...
16.THE INDUCTION IS PLAIN, BLACKEN THE FORWARD END OF THE "BOX"...
17.BLACKEN THE GRILL INSERT...
18.BLACKEN THE BACK SIDE OF THE RADIATOR AND THE AREA BETWEEN THE RAD AND ENGINE...
19.BLACKEN THE ENGINE'S AREA EXPOSED BY THE FIREWALL'S OFFSET...
20. WHITE PAINT MARKER THE HEADLIGHTS...
21.APPLY SOME GLUE AROUND THE PEGS, AND JUST A DAB IN THE PEG'S HOLE...
22.ADD A LITTLE MORE GLUE AROUND THE HOLES IN THE BASE BASE...
23. GLUE THE GLASS TO THE ROOF...
24. ASSEMBLE THE CAR ...
25.IF DONE CAREFULLY THE GLUE WILL PROTRUDE THE BASE THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL RIVIT...
26.AFTER 3 OR 4 HOURS, CLEAN A BALLPOINT PEN'S BALL... SPIT ON YOUR FINGER... SPIN THE BALL IN IT..
27.CAREFULLY PRESS THE BALL INTO THE CENTER OF THE GLUE RIVITS...
28.IT WILL SET UP CLEAR, BUT LOOK LIKE THE STOCK RIVIT..
[LOCTITE brand, STIK 'N SEAL product, INDOOR ONLY], NON TOXIC, SETS UP CLEAR AND FLEXIBLE, .WASHES OFF WITH WATER WHILE WHITE, $2.75 WALLY'S...Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
GOTTA NARROW THE FRONT WHEELS... NO INTERIOR... LEAD !
narrowed 5 spokes...Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
.Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
WILL WORK WITH THE HOOD TOP...

Discussion

View member profile
model40fan 11/12/14

Got a couple extra '34 coupe bodies after sacrificing their grill n mills to the induction alteration project, I used one with the hood hole enlarged for 3 deuces for this post...

Stock '34 3 window coupe ;

Lousy pic but notice the 3 window's door window filed to the shape of a 5 window's, this tells you where to drill the hole that will be filed to the shape of a 5 window's quarter window, you can see where I used a blue magic marker and a prick punch to keep the hole where I want it ;

Quarter window hole drilled ;

Quarter window hole filed to the 5 window's shape ;

Stripped for mock up ;

View member profile
72_Chevy_C10 11/12/14

Great stuff, Smitty!

If I ever get the time, I'd like to model some, slightly more accurate engines...flathead, small block, hemi, etc...it would be nice to have some really cool looking engines to drop in these cars!

• hmmm...... hemi and flathead ... i'm on it ! ...shift kicker [hemi] and racing champions 3-2s flattie... — model40fan
  • hemi - with or with out factory grill / lights ? — model40fan
  • flattie with or with out a-ok's grill ? — model40fan
  • I mean, for me to make new versions, Smitty...some realy accurate 1/64 scale versions! :) — 72_Chevy_C10
  • oooooooh ! — model40fan
to join the conversation or sign-up now