Then & Now come together for an epic showdown of modern design versus rumbling muscle in this 1/64 scale diecast racing tournament, known as Coupe-A-Cabana! The Pacific Rim Speedway may not have beaches, but we have cliffs overlooking Kaiju, a wonderfully smelling sewer vent, and our very own nuclear power facility. The theme of this race focuses on the Coupe models. See rules for specific castings allowed*
This race will host a 32-car field, which will be conducted in two 16-car brackets. Races will air on the Monster Motorsports Diecast Racing Facebook Group and YouTube channel.
The winner will move on and compete in the end-of-year "King of Monsters" championship race!
Rules & restrictions
- Modified entries only.
- 70.0g maximum weight. All added weight must be concealed inside the body. There is no weight allowance. 70.0g is the maximum. No exceptions.
- 3.25in. long x 2in. tall x 1.25in. wide. Should fit within Hot Wheels black flat track, which is a little narrower than standard orange flat track.
- Limit 1 entries per household. Limit 1 entry per race team. This is to ensure fair representation.
- Plastic retail wheels only. Manually polishing axles yourself is allowed. NO FTE/NPA axles. NO axle tubes. NO Fantasy wheels. NO rubber tires.
- Dry lube only. Do not over apply graphite that causes a bunch of graphite to fall out when I open your package.
- Must be a replica of a real coupe casting. No fantasy castings allowed. The following Hot Wheels castings are acceptable. If it is not on this list, message the host before building for approval.
- Swoop Coupe (1937 Lincoln Zephyr).
- Mid 80's Corvette Coupe (hood must be glued down).
- '58 Corvette Coupe (must include driver figure seated inside).
- '40 Ford Coupe.
- Hyundai Genesis Coupe.
- '32 Ford Coupe (caution- open wheels have a high risk of damage during race).
- '33 Willys Coupe (hood must be glued down).
- '34 Ford Coupe (caution - open wheels have a high risk of damage during race).
- Corvette C6 Coupe.
- '48 Austin Coupe.
- Audi RS 5 Coupé.
- 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe (FTE version not allowed - wheel swap required).
- Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe.
- Custom '41 Willys Coupe.
- Classic '36 Ford Coupe.
- Saturn Ion Quad Coupe.
- '65 Corvette Stingray Coupe.
- '96 Mustang GT Coupe.
- Blown '34 Ford Coupe (caution - open wheels have a high risk of damage during race).
- '34 Ford Lakes Coupe (caution - open wheels have a high risk of damage during race).
- Custom '67 Ford Mustang Coupe.
- 1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe.
- 3-Window '34 (1934 3-Window Ford Coupe).
- '41 Willys.
- '32 Ford (RLC Exclusive).
- Nissan Fairlady Z.
- Porsche 356A Outlaw.
- Classic '32 Ford Vicky.
- Aston Martin One-77.
- Corvette Grand Sport (or Roadster version).
- 2020 Jaguar F-Type.
- Shoe Box (1949 Ford Custom Club Coupe).
- The body must be repainted with custom paint scheme. Do not just draw things on the stock paint with a sharpie or paint pen. No offensive graphics or markings. Graphics and numbers are optional, but highly encouraged. Keep in mind that dark paint schemes are harder to see on the track without contrasting light colored graphics/numbers.
- A driver figure must be included inside the car if the roof is missing, or if the casting is a convertible with the top down.
- Must be a car that has never raced, or qualified, on any track before.
- NO moving parts allowed, such as hoods, doors, trunks, etc. All moving parts MUST be glued down.
- No proxy sign-ups allowed. You cannot sign-up anyone other than yourself.
- If you signed up for a previous race hosted by Monster Motorsports, and you are a no show with zero communication prior to the deadline, you will be removed from the current race as well as any future races you have signed up for that are hosted by Monster Motorsports. You will also be replaced with an alternate entry. If you get in touch with me after the deadline and communicate, it is up to my discretion to allow entry into future races. Life happens. I just ask that you communicate.
- You MUST post in this thread, or send me a DM through Redline Derby, to confirm your place on the roster. You are confirmed once you receive my reply regarding your race status.
- When in doubt, or have a question, send me a message here on Redline Derby.
FOR ALL DRIVERS/BUILDERS THAT MADE THE OFFICIAL ROSTER...
Any casting on the list is allowed. These castings fill one of two requirements... 1) they say "coupe" on the casting, or 2) Hot Wheels Wiki states the casting is based on the coupe model of the real car. If it doesn't meet these two criteria, it is not allowed. However, not every casting on HW Wiki has a description.
With all due respect, it doesn't matter what a builder thinks the definition of coupe is according to Google, experience, etc. All castings not on the pre-approved list must have my permission for it to be submitted since there is a specific look and feel to this tournament. The big things to look for are: only 2 doors, a roof with a downward slope to the rear, and/or vertical rear window.
Also, hatchbacks and fastbacks do not automatically qualify as a coupe. If it is a muscle car, Gran Turismo racing car, exotic car, or JDM, it is not always a coupe just because it only has 2 doors. So when in doubt, send me a PM with a pic(s) of any casting(s) to request approval, and I will let you know if it is a go or not. Thanks for participating!
Dates & deadlines
All entries must be received by the host before Monday, 10/4/2021. Racing is scheduled for Monday, 10/11/2021. Results will be posted on or after that date as is convenient for the host.
How to enter
Post a reply on this thread that you are in, and Contact the tournament host to get the shipping address for entry.
Include at least $5.00 for return shipping if you want your entries back. You can include money with your entry or wait until the tournament is over where the host will reach out to each builder that has not paid return shipping. Cash, PayPal, Venmo, or Facebook Messenger is acceptable. Message host for payment details.
Entries will be added to the Pacific Rim Speedway diorama if return postage is not paid.
Include a Race Entry ID slip with your entry
Racing will be on the Pacific Rim Speedway - Monster Motorsports. View track profile and specs
Race format and scoring
Races will be running in a standard 16-car bracket with 4 cars participating in each race. The top 2 cars from each race will advance to the next round through to the semi-finals. Bracket seeding will be random. Race host has final decision in all races.
Cars will score points based on how they finish each lap:
1st Place - 5 points
2nd Place - 3 points
3rd place - 2 points
4th Place - 1 point
DNF - 0 points
If a car fails to meet any of the restrictions listed above, I will contact the owner to discuss options to make the car meet all restrictions. If a compromise that is fair and within restrictions cannot be met, the car will be returned to the owner.
All entries received will be given two test runs (one run in each lane) to ensure it can finish the course of the track without any issues. Cars that fail to run or fit on the track, will forfeit their participation. Cars that arrive broken will attempt to be minimally repaired before the racing begins. If cars that break during racing, I will reach out to the owner to work out a solution if possible. Cars that are glued together have come apart in the past due to big crashes on the track. I cannot enforce the use of screws, but it is highly encouraged because they can easily be replaced or opened to help fix any performance issues.
The winner will move on to the year-end "King of Monsters" championship. Additional prizes may be added, but not guaranteed.
1. Golden Owl / The Gray Wizard - RECEIVED
2. PWC Racing / HawThenSung - RECEIVED
3. Chaos Canyon - RECEIVED
4. RTR Diecast Racing League / Shelby Mayes - RECEIVED
5. Down Squad Racing - RECEIVED
6. Flat Rabbit Racing Club - RECEIVED
7. Underdogs_Unleashed / Idiot Lugagge - RECEIVED
8. Spirit of '64 / Scooter Roundwell #64 - RECEIVED
9. Nick Deavers Racing / Nick Deavers - RECEIVED
10. Diego's Diecast / Diego Roman - RECEIVED
11. Uncle Elvis Racing / Uncle Elvis - RECEIVED
12. White Nuckle Motoring Speed Shop / The Crazy Canuck - RECEIVED
13. R-Lo Racing / R-Lo - RECEIVED
14. Vapor Racing / Sneaky Bob - RECEIVED
15. Flip's Racing / Flip - RECEIVED
16. Dubious Diecast / Mr. Darq - RECEIVED
17. Madness Motorsports / Big Mac - RECEIVED
18. DamDiecast Racing - RECEIVED
19. Dogtown Racing - RECEIVED
20. Rust Belt Customs / Barry Manilow - RECEIVED
21. Big Al's Custom Diecast / The Feels - RECEIVED
22. MAC Racing / Mopar Mac - RECEIVED
23. Willy Maykit Diecast / Willy Maykit - RECEIVED
24. Rivera Racing / Big Romy - RECEIVED
25. Redline Salvage Inc. / Terrance Jr. - RECEIVED
26. Fractal Panda Diecast Racing / Fractal Panda - RECEIVED
27. 2K Racing / Too Kay - RECEIVED
28. FUMO Diecast Racing / Fern - RECEIVED
29. Ragtag Racing / Ragtag Jim - RECEIVED
30. KCLH Racing / A.Payne - RECEIVED
31. Doc's Speed Shop / Doc - RECEIVED
32. Ra SunGod Diecast Racing / Ra Sungod - RECEIVED