Tournaments and Racing2016 Pro Series: April, GT Classic

• 198 replies
  • Jump to last reply
Apr
When: Saturday, April 30, 2016

http://img.redlinederby.com/src/28d83e68.jpg

Welcome to 2016 Pro Series GT Classic. This is the second of 6 tournaments that make up the 2016 Redline Derby Pro Series. Entry is open to everyone. You do not have to have entrered a previous Pro Series tournament to qualify. The points earned in this tournament go towards each racer's Pro Series total. At the end of the year, the racer with the most total points in will be crowned champion.

This will be a standard, double-elimination bracket. The car that wins the final, wins this tournament. Points earned only go towards the Pro Series total, they do not determine the winner of this tournament. 

The next Pro Series tournament will be held in June.

GT Classic

The GT Classic focuses on GT class cars that racing road courses today. The GT class has a long history that covers a lot of different cars but they are not all represented in this tournament. I have selected a broad list of popular GT cars and manufacturers that should not be hard to find in the Hot Wheels world. 

Results

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYtilr-hOLU1q9U0clpXylPWSXQHs3rKe

Congratulations to Traction Event for a hard fought Pro Series victory. Props to Voxxer Racing for some tough competition as he battle far into the upper bracket, then winning the lower bracket for a rematch.

• Traction Event, 60pts
  • Voxxer Racing, 30pts
  • aircooled, 20pts
  • 72_Chevy_C10, 20pts
  • JDC442, 10pts
  • EconoCarl, 10pts
  • CCrider, 10pts
  • CliffordShaw, 10pts
  • WizardOfOz, 10pts

Rules & Restrictions

• Weight: 65g max
  • Car size: Max 3.25" long by 2" high. Width should fit on standard HW orange track.
  • Limit 1 cars per entrant
  • Any brand (See model limits below)
  • Any wheels and axles allowed
  • Must be drilled rivets, no stock entries
  • Dry lubes only
  • Doesn't have to be a new build, you can enter a previous mod if you want

Casting restrictions

The body of your car must be one of the following manufacturers/models of car:

• Any Ferrari
  • Any Aston Martin
  • Any BMW
  • Dodge Viper models
  • Any Porsche
  • Corvette models 1990 and later only
  • Audi R8 and TTS models
  • Any Lotus
  • Ford GT models (No Mustangs)
  • Any Lamborghini
  • Any Panoz
  • Any Maserati
  • Nissan GT-R and Z models
  • Acura NSX and GSR models
  • No concept model cars (regardless of maker)

Prizes

The racer that wins this bracket will receive a $10 Amazon.com gift card (digital), plus a RLD Victory Sticker.

How to enter

Post a reply with your intention to enter, then ship your entry car so that it arrives before April 24, 2016. Racing action and results will go down the weekend of April 30th.

At this time, please PM the host, Chopper, for his mailing address.

Please include an RLD Entry ID Card with your entry along with some money to cover the cost of returning your car if you want it back.

Scoring and Winning

This is a standard, double-elimination bracket. Each match-up will be best 2-out-3, alternating lanes. Seeding will be random as will any byes that are needed. The car that wins the bracket is champ. Points do not determine the winner of this tournament.

Pro Series points are +10 for every win in the main bracket. The tournament winner will receive +20 for the victory. There will be no points awarded for Loser Bracket wins.

Penalties

Cars will be inspected on arrival and checked for weight and other conditions. Any car that fails inspection will be removed from the tournament and returned to the owner.

Each car is given one do-over if they come off the track during a run. If goes off track a second time, it will forfeit that match.

Host Track

This tournament will be racing on Chopper's outdoor track in Portland, OR. It is equipped manual starting gate and sensor finish line, both 3DBotMaker models. Track is 17' long with a 4' hill from 2.5' high. You'll note this is a very flexible track so take that into consideration when building.

http://img.redlinederby.com/mlg/1f04cede.jpg

CrzyTrkrDude
(nice track, double u-turn return!! I see the official is set and ready for Racing!!)
Chopper
The u-turn on this photo is just the return track. (I did set up an additional finish gate at the end of the return track for fun).
Chopper
There are several neighborhood officials very excited for this event. Looking into holding it at a park.

No fte's, huh? That's throwing a little curve in there. Hmmm, what wheels to use?

JDC442
Yes to FTE's =rule change

A beater '80s Testarossa I have in my collection will do great for this.

Please post picture of starting gate.  Thx  Jon

The starting gate is the 3DBotMaker manual starting gate...same as the one on the Redline Derby home track. I'll try and get some hard measurements posted so you can build accordingly.

Could you please give status for width of start gate at yellow drop gate.   Width of drop gate.   End of drop gate to inside of start block both sides.  From drop gate to start of orange track.   Height of drop gate.  Thx.   Jon.  

EconoCarl
Jon, I just looked at the pics of the starting gate that Brian linked to. In almost every pic you can see what your axles got hung up on.

Hello:   Would like a clarification on a rule.  I understand that " no FTE's " are allowed.  Does this included ALL 5 spoke wheels or just " FTE " wheel combo's, ie. 5 spoke wheels and FTE axles.   Thanks   Voxxer

The only thing not allowed are FTE axles. The wheels themselves don't matter, you can use any design or style you want. 

Hi All,

I'm really looking forward to hosting this tournament. Having set up the track each of the last two weekends, there are two aspects of it I'm not yet satisfied with. 

The first is that I'm using vintage 2ft lengths of orange track to build the track, and the connection points are less consistent that I'd like. I carefully sorted through both the track and connectors to select the best and yesterday's iteration was much improved, but still not flawless. To correct, I've ordered two rolls of continuous track from eBay. Since this will be an outdoor event, what I'd really like to do is have a 50 ft race. Would anyone be opposed to this? I'd be able to run board underneath the track the entire length of the course, so there wouldn't be the chaos of tracks lying directly on grass. Will do a test run in March and post photos. Drop would be 6-8 feet, and may be two tiered (a 4 foot drop and then another 3 foot drop at the 25 ft mark, for instance).

Second, I used the 3bot starter this weekend, and also was not satisfied with the consistency of the starts. Then, last night, I watched Voxxer's Turbolence have trouble getting out of the gate. If Smitty is reading this, how does one go about getting one of those Smitty Sloppy Starters for this event?

Voxxer01
Use clear packing tape to smooth out connections between tracks .
redlinederby
Beware that rolled track outside. It will change a lot based on temperature and conditions.

Need some help I understand no FTE axles, what are HSW axles?

EconoCarl
HSW= High Speed Wheels. Here a wiki link: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Hot_Wheels_High-Speed_Wheel
Chopper
Are those the kind of wheels that are on Unobtanium?
EconoCarl
Yes they are Chopper. It's not all about the wheels/axles! I've had regular 5 spokes with regular axles win against FTEs ans HSWs.
redlinederby
Agreed. FTEs aren't a guarantee, just a solid starting point

I'm having a little trouble figuring out that one myself, Richard. I think that Brian does not want fte axles used, but you can use any wheels (including ftes).

My problem is that this rule is almost impossible to enforce. I mean, (no offense intended, Chopper), but does Chopper know what an fte axle looks like vs any other axle? And how about Color change axles...they are nickel plated just like the fte axles.

I know that the race will be coming up soon, but I'd say either allow fte's (and their axles) or don't allow them or their axles...it would make it easier to enforce and more fair.

My 2 cents

Chopper
None taken. I can spot the wheels, not the axles.
redlinederby
Fair enough. I guess the question has never come up before...

Many pre-2000 axles are also much shinier than today's axles but are not like FTEs. The 1996 Zombot release is an example.

These just arrived:

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/ryan_fisher4/Mobile%20Uploads/5AEFA793-F754-477F-BE40-C0A25B2...

redlinederby
Be patient unrolling that and getting it straight. Takes a lot of hair dryer time to unfold.

Hey Chopper,

Advice for setting up your track...I would suggest supporting it the best you can (maybe 2x4's or 2x6's). And I like using using aluminum to support the drop (.125" x 6" x 6')...it provides support, but also has a nice gradual slope..

But, the most important thing is that is runs straight...just the slightest curve will give one lane an advantage. A way to test this is by running similar cars down the track...the finishing gap between the cars should be pretty close on both lanes...little tweaks make a big difference.

Have you gotten in touch with Smitty? His starters do work well!

fordman
pm me chopper

On the topic of FTEs...

Okay then...I guess call me silly...we've had plenty of "No FTE" races in the past without any confusion, so what's different about this time? 

Or maybe it's just we don't have any clear guidelines for what qualifies as an FTE axle...? Anything that is the nickel-plated axles is an FTE in my book. But I agree that it's difficult to enforce and I'm sure there are low-friction axles in non-Hot Wheels cars too that we don't even know about.

So in the absence of more clearly defined terms, I'm going to switch the GT Classic to allow any wheels. We can avoid confusion and needless debate for a series that has already started. 

But if this has never been an enforceable rule, why have we had no FTE tournaments in the past then? Or have we just been running on assumptions and honor system for too long at this point?

You had said that you could run any wheels, even fte wheels, but no fte axles...that is impossible to check. If the rules are "No ftes", that means no fte wheels or axles...if the rules allow ftes, that means both wheels and axles. By saying you can run fte wheels, but not the axles, there's no way to check if the axles are fte or not.

Gotcha and that makes sense...and it does go back to (lack of) definitions. I've always understood "No FTE" to mean just the axles because the wheels themselves don't make a difference. And I never worried about enforcement because the honor system has been the defacto here for years. Just shows it is time to get specific, that's all...and that's a good problem to have, and an easy one to solve.

But either way...GT Classic is now any wheels/axles allowed. You can use FTEs if you want.

Nightstalker
could always say no cut axles.
Nightstalker
or, one piece axles only.

Are Acura HSC's and NSX's allowed?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uQPlcJ5nHCM/VYHWYqeP5fI/AAAAAAAAIAg/6QzZ52YGBT8/s1600/240.JPG

Good call on the Acuras, missed them. But going to limit them to NSX and GSR models. No concept cars. I'll update the rules list.

not a GT fan at all, don't think i own one...

any chance of having...  "outlaw" entries ?...

maybe they would have to be in a win to get in at every heet as a penalty...

not complaining...

Sounds interesting, lets see what we can dig up at the garage

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/stawkastoy003_zpsa86f2446.jpg

Nightstalker
Maybe a "Stawka's Toy" vette

Hey Schmitty, build an "OUTLAW" GT car. Go pick a Porsche car off of a peg and give it the ol' Sloppy Jalopy treatment! Put the body on a Way-2-Fast base, have a SBF protruding from the trunk (that's the front of the car) and add some white walls. Lots of possibilities. 

Gotta say we're gonna keep this in-theme, so no outlaws...but Carl is right, GT class cars are plentiful on the pegs and I think we'd all love to see what Smitty can do to a Porsche!

However...your outlaw suggestion is a great idea for next year. Like everyone gets one Outlaw Card to play during the 2017 Pro Series. Lets them build an off-theme car for any one tournament but they can only use it once.

Hmmmm, did somebody say 'Z Car' ?

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160301_211852_zpstgmmaj5s.jpg

Nightstalker
Nice!!!

Looks like a good place to start. Any age limit?

72_Chevy_C10
Welcome! Ages 3 and up ! :)
fordman
welcome RG... tis...
Raceghost
tis?
fordman
it is = tis, a good place to start.
redlinederby
Welcome aboard, Ghost! Can't wait to see your entries...
Raceghost
Oh, lol, OK.
CrzyTrkrDude
WELCOME YOUNG MR GHOST!!

I have to say, the mock up looks pretty cool...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160302_213026_zpstj7rujxj.jpg

It will probably be too short to make enough speed, but it looks cool :)

Tracksurgeon
Looks great with its raw zamac.
72_Chevy_C10
That['s why the Bare Muscle race is cool...the cars look Great in bare metal :)
JDC442
Agreed.
JDC442
Agreed.
JDC442
Agreed.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/Redline%20Derby%20%20%20Jersey%20shore/FordGT40....

Maybe this will do for starters.

72_Chevy_C10
Cool :)
redlinederby
That's a beauty. I don't have that paint job...need to find me that.
Raceghost
Will most likley be using a Matchbox casting. Don't have a picture of that
JDC442
Raceghost -is your forum name a tribute to Space Ghost?
Raceghost
Yes
72_Chevy_C10
Now, someone needs to be Brak :)
redlinederby
I'm more of a Zorak guy.
JDC442
Don't forget Moltar...

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/hulk-hogan-buzz.vresize.1200.675.high.21.jpg

72_Chevy_C10
You ou only stay away for so long :)
JDC442
Wouldn't have it any other way!
EconoCarl
Welcome back! LOL
aircooled
That is super!!!

With veterans like EconoCarl back in action and now Traction Event joining the melee, and also having been schooled by Aircooled and some of the younger guys in the first race, I figured now is the time to get serious -it is the Pro Series after all.

With this GT race running next month and the Bare Muscle 3 competition happening in June, I decided to spend the afternoon creating a modding work space to see if I can build something a little more competitive.  Wish me luck guys!

A good excuse to clean up my desk ;)

JDC442
I posted a video of the space (started a thread) to bring in some of the details -a few of my previous builds featured in the display case.
redlinederby
The next Pro Series is also in June, Truck-O-Rama 3
CrzyTrkrDude
Helpful hint offered: get a more comfy chair. you'll enjoy your new space more. LOOKS PERFECT OTHERWISE!!!!!
72_Chevy_C10
Look at how clean it is! You need about 43 half assembled cars on there :)
JDC442
In time C10, in time ;)

Hey Smitty!! I got an "Outlaw" Porsche for ya if you want? I'm not saying it's got the stance for speed but it made me think of you. :-)

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/danielcollick/20160306_204208_zpsljjeh9sj.jpg

And, if anyone remembers how promising my R8 was a while back before it broke...I FOUND ANOTHER ONE! And it only cost $1! So, I'm in.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/danielcollick/20160306_204225_zpsp20viohe.jpg

fordman
thanks delta but i find the wholoe bunch gross, i'm an early ford guy !
redlinederby
What year is that Outlaw casting from? Never saw that one before...me want.
delta6
That's a 2016 model. Pm me your address again and I'll send a couple. Did you ever get those 510 wagons I sent a while back?
JDC442
Love it! Can't wait to see what color that R8 will become
JDC442
Mr. Smith ~will we be seeing any Smitty-builds in the Pro Series?
fordman
just don't like them, i'm old, never liked them, hot rod tunnel visioned

Hey Brian,

I got my car back from the first race...thanks!

Hi Brian, my car arrived yesterday in great shape.  Also in the box was the so cool new first 2016 Tournament Winner Sticker and Redline Derby Racing sticker.  It was a great day for sure.  Thanks again for all you do to make this hobby so much fun.

What this race needs is some good natured smack talking...

Rumor has it, Aircooled has been wearing this shirt all around town... :)  Wooo!

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/719YjbGxN5L._UL1500_.jpg

72_Chevy_C10
So, no pressure, then :)
aircooled
That sure brings back some WWF TV time with our kids. All I can say is give it your best shot!!

Welcome TE glad your in, Im all for the smack talk but I prefer G.L.O.W. apposed to WWF.

2seven

JDC442
By the way 2seven, was very impressed with your Super Comp build. Seems like you know what you're doing.

Don't worry The Man has been beaten time and time again...daddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

Shoooooot, I had 2 choices growing up in West Central Florida in the 70's...

In our house, you watched " Championship Wrestling from Florida, with Gordon Solie' as your host" or you sat on your thumbs in your room...

Steve Kern, Andre', Dusty, Ox Baker, all them. 

fordman
toro tanaka, george the animal steel, chief J strongbow... the sixties man...

I remember watching those guys Smitty. My dad was a huge fan and we'd watch every Saturday. Way back then Vince McMahon was a skinny little coward. Always looked like he was afraid he'd get beat up.

Don't forget Bruno Sammartino!

Nightstalker
was at the Garden when Billy Grahm split Bruno wide open with a chair to get the title.
Nightstalker
The "WWWF" World Wide Wrestling Federation" Garden every month
JDC442
Billy Graham the evangelist?
Nightstalker
Superstar Bill Grahm
redlinederby
Woah...now I'm jealous...Superstar vs Bruno at MSG, nice.
Nightstalker
Went every month back then, got the tickets the next AM.

Decisions,  decisions. ..

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/Mobile%20Uploads/20160310_123825_zpsai6hscd8.j...

Okay, well, it wasn't really that tough...I'll be working on the Vette today :)

WizardofOZ
I thought it was 90 or newer on Vettes?
72_Chevy_C10
Yeah, Stalker...has to be a '90's- newer Vette...or else I'd be running a '63-'67
Nightstalker
Oh, never mind......Time to regroup.
Nightstalker
Aston Martin Then

Because it was asked for earlier, here are the measurements for the 4-lane starting gate from 3DBotMaker.

http://www.redlinederby.com/topic/dimensions-of-the-rld-3dbotmaker-starting-gate/2787

However, please be aware the dimensions given are for my starting gate. Measurements may be different for other 4-lane gates because the vendor is able to change dimensions because he makes them on-demand. Although I would expect the numbers to be very close...either way, better than nothing.

Hi All,

You can thank Smitty, aka fordman, in advance for the incredibly fair starts that will occur in April. He sent his custom built "Sloppy Starter" to the Pacific NW this weekend, and it's incredible! Will make for great starts AND great footage. Check out any video's of 72_Chevy_C10 to get a sense of what we'll be using. 

Couldn't be more grateful!

chopper

72_Chevy_C10
The combo of Smitty's Sloppy Starter and a 3DBotMaker finish line is a really fair set-up!
fordman
Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the FAIREST of them all...
JDC442
Smitty built a sloppy starter for my five year old -good stuff!

Can you please post a pick of the Sloppy Starter.     Thx.  VOXXER.   

SHAZAM

Voxxer01
This the official start gate for the race ?????

That is really something, my hat is off to you Smitty!!  There is a lot of engineering in that starter for sure!!!!!  I find it amazing how much R&D goes into racing these HW's.

redlinederby
Not to mention the ability to weld..
fordman
24 years working for general electric didn't hurt...

Are DeLoreans and Bugattis allowed for this one?

redlinederby
No, not this time. Sorry.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1815_zpshgebgzqy.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1818_zpsxybcv8ou.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1817_zpsakmemwjl.jpg 

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1816_zpsdtvpinxz.jpg

The Raceghost Phantom Cruiser 1 GT 40 ready to be sent off to the races.

JDC442
Now that looks good and fast.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1821_zpsaha7gfki.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1823_zps0hwesxie.jpg 

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj515/majestik9/DSCN1822_zps3wd36iiz.jpg

Introducing the "Britstalker" Aston Martin in BRG.

Nightstalker
Sorry bout the blurry, been having pic problems.
fordman
is that a '32 Ford Johnnie on the trailer ?
Nightstalker
Yea, had it over 50 years.

I'm still debating if I should use my childhood Lotus Esprit for this race. It wasn't my favorite car to race but it always stood out from my collection along with a B Engineering Edonis that had similar tampos.

http://i.imgur.com/QYHTTSh.jpg

That version of the Lotus with FTEs did fairly well in the Fantasy League. Shooting 50/50 ain't bad...ain't great, but that was stock. With some mods I'm sure it would be even better...

http://archive.redlinederby.com/fantasy/car-profile.php?id=212

Voxxer Racing will be sending in a car.  

Progress on the Vette...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160316_091103_zpso3h89umx.jpg

I still need to ad weight and find some speed

JDC442
Looking good. Are those medium wheels up front?
72_Chevy_C10
Yup, it's a pretty tight fit

I've been working on my Jaguar but the paint hasn't come off in two weeks.

Traction-Event
soaking in what?
Tracksurgeon
Citristrip
Traction-Event
never used that stuff, i have had great luck with aircraft stripper...nasty stuff.
Paint layed down.

Your view!

WizardofOZ
My old eyes aren't what they used to be. ....I missed some on the tail lights. I better go fix that!
fordman
go wizz go n!
redlinederby
Nicely done
72_Chevy_C10
Looking good! Yup, that's my view...behind you in the staging lanes :)
WizardofOZ
Honestly I'm just glad to be a part of this! I know I have NO chance of winning but this build has been a blast.
Traction-Event
You entered...you have a chance. if you sit on the sidelines... you have no chance.
WizardofOZ
TE....you're right that's a great way to look at it.
72_Chevy_C10
I'm glad to see you racing, Wizard!
redlinederby
You can Lose and still get points, so it's always worth entering
aircooled
That really looks good!! I think there are going to be a few Vett's racing.
Voxxer01
Sweet paint !! What year is that Vette ? Looks strong
Tracksurgeon
It could be a surprising win though. I once placed lead on a car and won.
WizardofOZ
Nightstalker
I like it.
Steele_Mill_Racing
Nice!

Hopefully I can settle on 1 car today to mod for this, I have way too many choices, but I guess that's a good problem to have.

Rules clarification please.   On post at top, it states corvettes 1990 and later.   On post dated  3/12/16 titled " Decision, Decisions ... " It states  " 1990 and newer. "   I do not want any racers to be DQ.  Trying to help out.     Thx.  Voxxer.  

In the intro, it says..."The GT Classic focuses on GT class cars that racing road courses today..." so, I'm assuming that it means 1990 and newer Corvettes. And since all the other cars are newer, it points that way.

Brian, can you clarify?

redlinederby
Newer and later mean the same thing. Corvettes 1990-2016
72_Chevy_C10
just clarifying :)

I have chosen the ford GT-90 it's a well played with car from the 90's I found at a thrift store a few years ago I don't think I'm going to paint it, as you can't replicate that look, although it did get some upgraded wheels and axles, and I will be adding a little weight to it.

Traction-Event
Concept car? check the rules, dont want to to build something you cant race
Eastbound357
Thanks for the heads up TE, I didn't think it was a concept but upon further research I was wrong, I will build a different car

I figure, since it is a GT race, the Corvette needed a bit of scaffolding on the back...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160317_215658_zpscocpfwln.jpg

Traction-Event
Nice integration on the wing... lots of vettes... I need to get busy
72_Chevy_C10
Thanks TE...it's off a Nissan NSX.

Anyone opposed to the new Renault? I did my research and apparently Renault & Nissan have a partnership. I just think this is a pretty cool new casting from Mattel, so I thought I'd see if it would be allowed?

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/danielcollick/20160319_155928_zps8epsqihp.jpg

redlinederby
Not this time, but good to consider for future. Since we're close lets keep rules locked in for now.
redlinederby
And that is a great casting, need to keep an eye out

I have decided on a Porsche Panamera, so far it's coming along I had to do a little file work to get the rear wheels in, other than that everything is coming together, now to decide on the weight.

Son and I are both going to send in a Porsche. He is on spring break today so he spent the day in the basement running cars. Now let me see if we can mess them up by working on them.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/tnfishdaddy1/Mobile%20Uploads/20160321_161847_zpshrw3yxaz.j...

Traction-Event
I almost built a Carrera GT as well... still on the bench
redlinederby
I love that GT3 casting...

Looking forward to some progress shots and fresh builds.... I have something in the works...not yet ready for prime time... soon...soon... you will all tremble...

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/values_bring_1667px.png

I've had plans developed for my own axle build for some time.  I'm going to finally put them together and apply them to a specifically-chosen (thanks EconoCarl) casting.  Although the axle-wheel assembly plan looks really good on paper, you just never know how an 'experiment' is going to pan out. 

Traction-Event
Carl and JDC team skunkworks... look out racers
redlinederby
Friendly rivals join forces to destroy all in their way, it's like a comic book

Ferrari going to get cracked open this week!  

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/skunkworks.png

JDC442
A skunkworks project is a project developed by a small and loosely structured group of people who research and develop a project
JDC442
primarily for the sake of radical innovation. The terms originated with Lockheed's World War II Skunk Works project.
JDC442
Nice Traction, thought this might be a slam until I looked it up.
Traction-Event
No slam intended or warranted....
Traction-Event
Yup Lockheed...
fordman
flying wing 1940's... go mr. kelly go !

Love the logo! If anyone else has a logo, be sure to post. Will be make for a better video production of the event!

chopper

Well I should have been working on my LJLRC DeLorean... but my car for this race has had my attention... I have never built more than the minimum number of cars for any race. I was tempted to build 3-4 cars and see what worked best and send in the best.  In the end I have only built one car. It's a casting I have never built before. I struggled with what to build as well, so many options... Ferrari alone has so many stock fast castings... Lotus, Ford GT's...

I went with an unknown, will it be fast enough? My cards are on the table...

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/TEracing.png

redlinederby
+1 for KISS
redlinederby
Glad there was some challenge in it for you - gotta keep you on your toes
JDC442
That car looks stock ;)

KISS, that sure takes some of us back in time, for sure.

fordman
i saw KISS 35 or more years back... Bangor ME.
redlinederby
We should have a KISS tournament. Gotta paint your cars like your favorite member.
Steele_Mill_Racing
Detroit Rock City!

Have the specs for the track been decided yet?

redlinederby
I'll message Chopper. He should have something by now

Been working on my entry.  Here is my "so far".  Not welded yet.

redlinederby
Woah. What are those wheels from?
Steele_Mill_Racing
I think it is called a Formula Solar. My wife bought it for me. I bought a couple more of them because I liked the wheels so much.
Steele_Mill_Racing
The F S was pretty fast so I figured if the speed doesn't transfer over it will at least look cool.
Steele_Mill_Racing
The Ferrari was a flea market find. Wheels were locked up but the nice stock weight on it is encouraging

Welded.  Painted.  Need to add some weight and polish her up.   Win or lose I'm enjoying this process for sure.  

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/jimhickeymusic/temporary_zpszngrvfpm.jpg

CrzyTrkrDude
(Be careful with those wheels, I've found just touching them will rub that chrome right off.) LIKEING THAT PAINT!!
Traction-Event
Great casting choice, known for speed...looks slick with those wheels.
JDC442
Wild paint -body has texture. Were you able to add weight?
Steele_Mill_Racing
I can fit some weight in there. Weighing in at 45. Rolls really well and straight after graphite. You are right about the wheel chrome.
Steele_Mill_Racing
It scratches real easy.
redlinederby
Max weight is 65g so try to get to that as close as you can, 20g's is a lot to play with
Steele_Mill_Racing
Yeah its kind of tight in there. I'm using modeling clay so I may have to remove the seats to get it up to weight if I don't find .
Steele_Mill_Racing
something else to use to weigh it down around here.

Well I'm going back to the drawing board I had a wheel lock up on me, don't know what happened.

Is there any updates on the track configuration?

redlinederby
Been trying to get in touch with Chopper, no replies yet :(

I am going to throw my hat in the ring.  Just finished up last night.  I took the hot wheels Cool Classics GT metal base and put it with a mainline race graphics body.  FTE wheels from a Pontiac GTO.

JDC442
I like that casting
redlinederby
Nice

Hi all,

Been on vacation. I have a plan and a backup plan for the track. I have two 50ft length orange tracks, a sloppy starter and a 3bot finish line. I also have a crew of folks lined up to help run the race. I've built 50 ft of interlocking boards to support the track and reserved space at a local park in Portland that has a great incline of 6-7 feet over the 50ft distance  

If it rains, or if the track is too inconsistent, there is a covered area, and I have a smooth 24 foot track and hardware to construct a 3 ft. Incline. 

I hope that helps. Post any questions and I'll answer. 

So it could be 1 of 2 tracks that you'll be racing on? 

And if the 50-ft long track works, the first 6-ft will be the hill but a "natural" hill at the park, yes? And then then about 45-ft of straight?

All in all, just make sure you race everyone on the same track. Don't split the tournament...so hopefully it'll all hold up so you don't have to re-race things.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/Eastbound357/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6owap1qh.jpg

Eastbound357
My first time using my new RAAB Wheel Jig!!!!!!
gtaman
Nice

Couldn't wait any longer, just had to show all here at Redline Derby what the so called "SKUNKWORKS" team has been up to. We have raised the bar in Hot Wheels racing with our latest "radical innovation". By using rubber tires the cars are much quieter due to less rolling resistance and the benefit is much more speed. Don't know why they haven't been used before now. In testing here at Team HalfFast World Headquarters the rubber tires are working great. Think about it, do real cars have plastic tires? Just had to share.

Below is one of the SKUNKWORKS team cars:

redlinederby
All about the roll not the rubber
redlinederby
But real cars dont drive on plastic roads
JDC442
You're a genius Carl!
Traction-Event
smells funny to me.... maybe on the skidpad for lat G's...
Tracksurgeon
Be sure that having less rolling resistance (inertia) balances out with friction.
EconoCarl
Anybody catch the date I wrote this?
Tracksurgeon
It's already got a 510 some rubber wheels. Lol

I just finished me entry it will go out tomorrow or Monday covered in Graphite!

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/Eastbound357/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5i84zbjc.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/Eastbound357/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmurr48tg.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/Eastbound357/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsobrklv6s.jpg

Ended up going with the millionaire soccer Mom-mobile, the Lamborghini Urus!

Steele_Mill_Racing
I have one of those too. In stock form mine is slow but a lot of potenial room in there tobadd weight.

I have a few questions about the track for the next race.  From what has been posted about the track, if it is a 24 ft track there will be a 3' drop/decline to the flat.  I'm not as clear on the 50' track set-up. My question on the 50' track is will it have a drop from the starting gate and If so how high will it be? Or is it a 6/7' decline from the starting gate over a 50' span making it a straight down hill track with no flat?  If the 50' track does have a flat, how long will it be?  Any additional information about the configuration of the track would be greatly appreciated.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/Robby_Comeford/work%20in%20progress_zpsgep3bgp7.jpg

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/Robby_Comeford/AA915D95-5D4E-4723-B78D-AC94345DDA91_zpsjhzr...

So it's as fast right now as my February "Build Your Best" entry (which isn't saying much 'cause I didn't do that well) and I still can add about 12 grams of weight...here's hoping!

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a563/Robby_Comeford/new-fingers-crossed-gif-466_zpsirjmit5g.gif

CrzyTrkrDude
That is a cool jig set up!!
redlinederby
Indeed, like the adjustable slider technique. Very cool and flexible.

Hi All,

Here's another quick update on the track. 

First, to respond to Brian's post, we will not break the tournament up to two tracks. If it looks like rain may hit partway through, we will do it all in the rain location. There won't be any situation where the course switches mid-tournament.

Second, in response to Brian and Aircooled's posts, Because it's an outdoor track, there will be an element of uncertainty in terms of how the incline and run will end up. I'll do the best I can to provide accurate expectations and make sure you all have access to my progress on track design. To give you a sense of how I see it likely working, I've made a very rough sketch that is not to scale.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hires-aviary-prod-us-east-1/k/7904993e4e6b4c4490a86542454fbcd3/16040421/001...

Would it be helpful to start a second discussion thread just on the track?

Chopper

EconoCarl
It's going to be some work to keep a 50ft outdoor track free of debris for all passes in a tournament.
redlinederby
I think it's fair to start a new thread just for your track, like I did for my track. Just for specs, etc.
aircooled
New threads sounds like a good idea.
Steele_Mill_Racing
Was a thread made for the track?

Just finished the testing phases with the "Millionaire Soccer Mom-Mobile" I'm happy with the results hopefully she does well at the races. I'm sending her out in the Morning.

EconoCarl
Do we know where to send them yet?
Eastbound357
PM Chopper for his address
gtaman
I PM'd Chopper with no response.
Traction-Event
I have his address, if you still need it PM me

Hot pink envelope with my car is in the mail.

Chopper
Yes! Will let you know when it arrives!

Testing and a major swap out of the front axle.....more testing and will ship "ScareCrow" Monday morning. 

Eastbound357
Lookin good I hope you have desired results with the axle swap.
Traction-Event
Why the change? just curious...
fordman
scare crow huh... very "smart" looking car...
WizardofOZ
Changed out the front axle .....looking for speed. The car was slower than expected.

The driver chosen for this tournament is Pierre-Louis Chaufourier, a French civil engineer who has superior auto racing abilities, primarily with drag and rally racing. Not much else is known about this person as he recently and anonymously joined Tracksurgeon Racing.

http://i.imgur.com/C4LmcUS.png

Pierre will be driving a 1996 BMW 850i, nicknamed "Le Saphir" for its slick dark blue paint. It was left in mint condition for exactly two decades as it was from the collection of a wealthy guy who sold it to Pierre. The 850i has a 5-speed automatic transmission, two twin-turbocharged 5.6L V12 engines, and about 1,075hp. Stability control was installed to allow acceleration from a standing start.

http://i.imgur.com/ByRl8DJ.jpg

gtaman
Nice
JDC442
Sharp looking ride
Chopper
This one hasn't arrived. Is it in the mail?

Car arrived from Fairmont, WV today: #2!

gtaman
Nice!

ScareCrow is on the way! 

Chopper
Great! Tell it to just follow the yellow bricks.

The new Hot 64 gives a preview of the GT Classic!

https://youtu.be/QSfXfBB2_eQ

Let's hear it for Josie! Bridgette will be back next week, but she did a great job of stepping in. She may help cover the GT Classic.

"How low can you go?"

-Elmo, 2016

Should we have a limbo challenge where the entries have to pass under bars without touching them?

fordman
the channeled challenge... i can cut something...

Voxxer Racing HQ has sent out it's car, today. 

I have a Custom Corvette Convertible that was released in 1995 but the original casting was released in 1989. This is practically the 1984-1996 4th Generation Corvette. Could I use this for the race?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/hotwheels/images/a/ae/Corvetteconv_purple_lw.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20091019105411

Is there any more information about the track somewhere?  

redlinederby
Look around posts from 4/1, Chopper posted some more details

Hi Chopper,

Can you post or PM the shipping address for entries? 

Thanks

redlinederby
Just send Chopper a PM too, he'll get back to you

I'm working on one to send in. Almost done.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp126/bowserkj/image_zpsaot10wt7.jpeg

72_Chevy_C10
Photo Bucket works pretty good...upload, then share, use Copy Link to Clipboard...then Direct link
Roll_Research
Thanks for the tip. I'm ready to post away now.
redlinederby
Great idea for the jig...

Voxxer Racing arrived today!

Awfully quiet in here.... calm before the storm....

my car will ship out this week...

Got a box from CT yesterday!

I Put my slightly manipulated C6-R FTE in the mail today. Good Luck guys.

Our car left TeamHalfFast's World Headquarters today headed for Oregon. Lady said it should be there Friday.

Dropped in mail today also.  USPS says delivery on 4/22.  

Aren't the Estoque and the Urus concept cars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Estoque

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lamborghini/2017-lamborghini-urus-ar132643.html#main

So based on very limited research...the Urus qualifies because it is a production car. The Estoque, however, is just a concept and was never made production.

The "no concept models" rule has been on the books since March when the event was posted, so it isn't a last minute change or anything.

So, since the car already shipped out, I'd say the car can be in the race but it won't earn any series points. And in the case that the Estoque wins the whole bracket, the prize would go to the runner-up. Sound reasonable?

I know that's different than removing the car from the race entirely but I think we'd all rather see a car race and help fill in the bracket. 

JDC442
This is awesome. I'm also sending in an Estoque -had no idea it was a concept car, all that I read was that we could enter any Lamborghini.
JDC442
Didn't read down to the bottom of the list of 'acceptable entries' to even see that restriction.
redlinederby
Well...lets see what others say...
EconoCarl
I had no idea it was a concept car! I'm thrashing on another car. It will be priority shipped tomorrow.
EconoCarl
FWIW: The Urus is a concept car until it goes into production in 2017/2018. The Estoque was to be a production car too (internet don't lie).
redlinederby
Yeah, read the Estoque will never be a prod car. At least Urus is already being made.

Okay, so looks like we have more than one Estoque being entered...and JDC brings up a good point that knowing that model was a concept would require some digging, ie, it's not stamped on the car like some other castings (like the Acura and Camaro). I didn't know it was a concept either until I looked it up, and there's a good chance that others might be entering cars that fall into the same boat...sooo...

I'm open to hearing what other entrants have to say on the topic. If the field at large would be cool with the Estoque running for points then I'm fine with it too.

I guess when I was asked about concepts and added the restriction, I did so with the thought being cars that were stamped/labeled as concept. But if you didn't choose a casting because you knew it was a concept and yet not stamped, I can see how you'd be pissed. 

I didn't expect this to be an issue so I'm just trying to find a happy place. Ultimately, someone will be unhappy but I'm open to hearing what others think. Either way, the cars will be in the race, the case we're debating is whether or not those cars will earn points/prizes.

And this doesn't impact the schedule or anything, so racing will go on as planned and we'll deal with points or handicaps or whatever as we talk it through.

delta6
I have no problem sticking to the rules but I also wouldn't mind going head to head with Carl for points.
EconoCarl
Thanks anyway Brian, I'll send another car tomorrow. Don't want an * next to my win!
delta6
Save that Estoque, looks cool!
EconoCarl
Thanks delta6.

I don't see where this should be an issue as it is posted  in the rules.  If concepts aren't allowed then these cars can run but shouldn't advance in the bracket or score points for the owner.  Only fair.  

WizardofOZ
I would have to agree with steel mill. I understand but it is in the rules.
Steele_Mill_Racing
I know I would slap my forehead if it was me but I would live with it. Looks like the guys involved are resubmitting cars go guys!

Don't have time to build another car, so I'll have to send in another previous build.  Does the F40 qualify?

delta6
I believe it does.
redlinederby
Yes it does
EconoCarl
Sorry mann! I had no idea. On a lighter note, the Estoque is scheduled to go into production in 2014!
72_Chevy_C10
I like the split jig...but, even if the wheels aren't all the way in a 'valley', they would still be held straight...cool idea though!

Estoques and Urusi? Lose the same in my book as long as they followed the weight rules let them play

72_Chevy_C10
The Estoques are long, known fast castings...I think Brian made the right call. Rules are there for a reason
EconoCarl
Mute point, I'm sending a new car, but even Brian thought concept cars were marked as such.
JDC442
I think your Estoque may have scared a few people Carl. I'll be sending in the F40 -rules are rules
EconoCarl
Yep! I guess we have to do a research project before building cars in the future. Skunkworks will be back for the Truck race!!!

I don't have a pony in this show as I had to back out due to a lack of time, but I keep following because I love the GT road course type racing. Panos, Cadillac, Ferrari, etc. castings are a big part of my collection. 

I'm not trying to stir the nest but what I'm curious to see once pics are posted is if all the entries have been raced. At the top of the page it says this race is based on GT type cars being raced on the road today, but also allowing cars from the past. Two cars came into question with one being sidelined as it's not in production. The Urusi is in production but does it fit the bill being a car being raced today?  

I feel bad for the guys that spent time to build the Estoques but I agree rules are rules. That being said, if an entree has not been raced in a real GT road race shouldn't they also be disqualified?

Eastbound357
The casting restrictions say any Lamborghini, not any Lamborghini racing road courses today, the reason I picked the urus is its already in
Eastbound357
Production and I didn't think anyone else was racing one.

Oh the drama... so much for being quiet in here. :)

72_Chevy_C10
You had to go and say it was quiet! ha! :)
EconoCarl
It's all your fault Chris! LOL
Traction-Event
I accept! Lol

I know TE, and I usually am. I'm just trying to point out that every entry should meet every criteria for a race. I still kick myself for when I allowed someone to run two trucks using his fastest stock castings and adding weight with scotch tape just so the bracket could be filled. And he was the winner. 

fordman
scotty...
Traction-Event
my comment was for all, not directed at you... all good brother.

Our second car left TeamHalfFast's World Headquarters today headed for Oregon. Lady said it should be there Saturday.

cliffordshaw
Oh man, that THF yellow always looks so happy. Then everything goes black....
Traction-Event
Great choice here...long wheelbase.
fordman
watched the weather... got pontoons ?
EconoCarl
We didn't get as near as much as the Houston area Schmitty.

C5 Corvette at Sebring:

Dadvball
I love this car!

Okay, so it sounds like everyone's cool with "rules is rules" - and the Estoques won't be racing at all, replacements are being sent in. Thanks to everyone for their input and for JDC and Carl for being super awesome sports about it.

Like I said, I wouldn't have expected something as simple as "no concepts" would end up being such a big stink...so my apologies for that. Should something like this crop up again, we'll just have to spell it out better.

EconoCarl
No problem. If I'd known it was a Concept car I would not have sent it.
EconoCarl
Hopefully others will remember that JDC & I 'stood up' instead of trying to change the rules to fit our cars. RULES ARE RULES!
redlinederby
Indeed...and much appreciated. Sportsman all the way.
72_Chevy_C10
Well said, Carl
fordman
act of a true champion...
WizardofOZ
My hats off to Econocarl and JDC ......suberb sportsmanship! I will remember!
aircooled
Great sportmanship, and a class act!!!!
Traction-Event
Nice job, pulling it back together boys!, see you all trackside!.
JDC442
Love the "RDR" too much to be dumb about it
JDC442
ALSO: will send in something even faster just to spite ;)
Steele_Mill_Racing
Nice work guys! I will be rooting for you guys...when you are not racing me...

Went with a Lambo instead. On its way.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/danielcollick/Mobile%20Uploads/E4C761B8-3CD9-4572-A5C2-095B...

JDC442
Love the purple! Is it fast???
delta6
Dunno! The wheels spun very well before assembly. I like the anticipation.
Chopper
I don't have this car. Did you send it?

My entry went out today with an ETA of Saturday. I'll leave the tracking # below. Busy times here at Park Place so I had to recycled and old racer for this event. The Money Lambo rises like a Phoenix AGAIN, I hope!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2seven/17634326112/in/dateposted-public/

2seven

Something Faster than the Estoque build....

Went out post 'over night' will be there tomorrow afternoon (EL128841122US)

delta6
So fast it roasted the paint off the front half!!
EconoCarl
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!
Traction-Event
another great casting choice...

I hadn't noticed that there was a deadline of a week early on this race...if I get a car there mid-week, will it get raced? Or will it get painted pink and smashed with a hammer? :)

JDC442
Yah, I also thought I had plenty of time . Hopefully it's okay if yours is a bit late -must have all the best racers in this one
Traction-Event
I so hope it gets painted pink!!!!... send it in, this race needs more Vettes!
redlinederby
I don't think Chopper is racing until next weekend, so you should be safe. But PMing him won't hurt.
EconoCarl
Isn't it funny how karma works.

A couple decals, some graphite, two passes down the track, and 'Skunk Repellent' is ready to go...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160422_214546_zpsoaqlx8xu.jpg

Provided it doesn't get painted pink :)

JDC442
Nice paint!
Traction-Event
Glad to have you in the mix on this one, see you in staging...
72_Chevy_C10
The car is on it's way...9505 5157 6114 0009 20
aircooled
Very cool looking paint job!!!

I just returned home and havereceived cars from:

Beaumont, Texas x2

Washington, Utah

Dayton, Ohio

Charlotte North Carolina

Bellingham, Washington x2

Voxxer01
You should have Voxxer Racing entry? ??
EconoCarl
Hey Chopper, I'm sure you know which Beaumont car gets raced! LOL
Chopper
Got Voxxer a while back. Will return ECarl and JD's first builds still as sealed as possible.

It should have a car from Aircooled Racing, it was left on the front door/ porch at 3:19 PM on the 20th.

Tracking Number  9505512504136109270579

Chopper
It's here

Chopper, if you could post complete a list of the cars you currently have there tonight that would be great. 

Chopper
Will try.

@Chopper My car might be in the mail today.

day late, dollar short.... my car has been delivered... it's on!

aircooled
Mine is there also. Yes, it is on!!!
EconoCarl
It on like Donkey Kong!

Sorry folks, Family stuff came up and time needed to be shifted. Raceghost and I will be back.

fordman
we'll be lookin' over our shoulder for ya !
CrzyTrkrDude
Family First! Hope all is well!!

Two more cars have arrived from Chrises in NJ and MI. That puts us at 14. Weigh in will be tomorrow night. 

Traction-Event
tale of the tape...
72_Chevy_C10
Cool...glad it got there okay :)

The weigh-in went well. All cars are legal. One package had two drivers' entrants, so there are 15 total. Great looking field of cars. Nice work everyone! Can't wait to see these things in action!

I'd like to post the event on youtube, but it will be several days before I can edit the footage together. Would competitors rather wait and watch the drama unfold in the video? Or would you rather I send out the results and ask that you go American Idol and keep the results secret until the video airs?

Chopper

72_Chevy_C10
I think the weigh-ins can probably wait until until the weekend...at least for me :)
EconoCarl
I vote for "make us all wait!" Just give us a heads up on when it will be posted.
aircooled
What does it mean "one package had two drivers entrants".
EconoCarl
They carpooled to get to Oergon.
gtaman
A picture of all the cars together is worth a thousand words> can we get one?

Waiting here!

Yes...wait until the video is done. Don't put up any results until then...do it all at once. 

Chopper will be funneling results through me so that I can update the Pro Series standings, so I'll be handling that as well as the prizes. 

I'll wait

Ditto on the wait!

Good luck with the racing, Chopper! We'll all be looking forward to seeing how you cover the event (no pressure, though!). When you host, it's cool because you get to see how fast these cars are and how close the racing can be!

Good luck to everyone!

Any possibility of team pics?

Will be posting race day photos on the 64S racing Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/64sracing/

How come my car hasn't arrived yet? It was mailed as Priority Mail so the lazy USPS services should've delivered it a week ago. What's really sucks is that the 850i is very rare and was discontinued in 2001.

UPDATE: My car was sent back to me because the package had been damaged while being shipped. The car escaped from being lost but the return money was gone. As this BS was caused by USPS itself, would it please be raced on Monday for the sake of mercy?

72_Chevy_C10
The race has probably already happened...and Chopper is working his video magic
delta6
Dude, LAME!
EconoCarl
Rules are Rules
Steele_Mill_Racing
That sucks
Traction-Event
bummer, not the first time a car was sent back, lost, ... we once had the whole middleweight series sent to a Frat house... wrong addy...

Hi All,

Here's the disappointing update from yesterday. Quite a day. Three of us spent seven hours setting up, racing and tearing down. Got some incredible racing action early on, but later in the day during the late second round, as the sun warmed up, the tracks started buckling and the advantage between lane one and two became unsurmountable. Despite re-taping and 'burping' the track multiple times, we couldn't get it to calm back down. Knowing how hard everyone worked on their car, I didn't feel comfortable continuing with the tournament. We took down the track. I plan to set up a shorter course in my garage and start the tournament over again. I'm sorry for the delay. I'll send a few shots of some of the unofficial action. The track was beautiful when it was running smoothly, and die cast racing made a big splash in Portland. We had a ton of folks show up to watch. Lots of kids went home with a new hot wheels fresh out of the bubble, and a lot of dads were asking about Redline Derby Racing.

Chopper

EconoCarl
A valiant effort Chopper, sorry things didn't work out.
WizardofOZ
Sorry you had trouble. No worries here. Looking forward to the new track.
Traction-Event
long day indeed, thanks for the effort!!!

No worries Chopper. Sounds like you did what you could. I know when the sun hits the orange track it moves a lot . Who would have thought the sun would cause problems in Oregon...lol. Indoor race will be cool. The race is still on. That's the main thing. Thanks for the hard work.

No worries, doing it over is fine. It's fair. Good luck on the next setup.

I thought you all might enjoy this. 

https://youtu.be/h-m0w4iAYX0

As you can see, if the track would have held, there was some terrific action.

WizardofOZ
Yep ...I could see my C6 get outta shape on that quick elevation drop at the 30 to 35 foot mark....until then the track was awesome.
Chopper
By the way, Smitty's starter worked like a dream!
fordman
sloppy starter does good !

Its cool that other people were made aware of the hobby, no worries on the race.  The June race will be indoor on the diecast dragsters track

Its cool that other people were made aware of the hobby, no worries on the race.  The June race will be indoor on the diecast dragsters track

Nice to see my blue Ferrari can win in the long run!

24'7.5" is scale quarter mile length...if you have the room, that is a pretty good length for a race. Or, around that length...and it makes it a little easier to video as well.

I'm glad to hear that you stirred up some local interest...very cool!

Good luck with the re-run!

Chopper could I please ship my car tomorrow as express mail (overnight) due to the delay?

I'm going to defer to Brian. The earliest I will re-race is Wednesday. 

First off, thanks for Chopper for all the effort in the event, even if it had to end early. It sounds like everyone locally had a good time and that's ultimately what matters...we can always rerun, and we will. Chopper will hang on to the GT cars and rerun it when he can in the near future.

We all know that outdoor racing is tricky but I thought something different would be fun to see...too bad Mother Nature and science just don't always agree! Shit happens and well, we'll just deal with it and make good when we can.

It sounds like Wednesday is the earliest chance for a rerun, so if anyone wants to try and get a car in before then, you may do so. However, since we're already behind schedule, if new entry cars don't make it by Wednesday and Chopper needs to run the race, he will no matter what. He won't run car sooner than Wednesday, but it's to him and his schedule as to when he reruns the tournament after that date.

Making a local event a reality isn't easy so we all appreciate the hours put into this weekend's racing. It's efforts like this that make Redline Derby special and a great place to play.

Steele_Mill_Racing
Sounds reasonable to me

If I have a chance later this week, I'll post a few photos or video of kids running their stock cars on the tracks we had set up (In addition to the 50 footer, we had a four lane course with loops and an open track finish and a blutrack set up as well). It was a lot of fun. I was prepared for rain, but as fellow Oregonian rolle_research commented, who would've guessed the sun would cause the trouble!

I even had a neighbor who lived close to the park boiling kettles of water and bringing them to a tub that the rolled orange track soaked in to make it malleable before we taped it to the support boards. That part worked great... until the sun came out. :)

Thanks for everyone's patience. Started clearing the garage yesterday to make room for the track.

chopper

My car will arrive there at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Hey Chopper,

I know you have a whole bunch of orange track, but I always suggest the Drag Track sections if you are going to be running a lot of races in the future. Take a look at my videos and you'll see how well it works...and both the starter and finish line you have can work with DT. The finish would have to be adapted a little (I need to write up the hacks that I did to mine).

Just something to think about for the future ;)

I appreciate it. I'm in deep on the orange track, but definitely feeling it's limitations.

fordman
maybe only use drag tracks as your runout, flats

When is the race ?????

When is the race?

Understand Chopped had to move the location of the GT race.  Has a new date been set for the race?

I don't think there has been a date set . I'm sure it will get posted as soon as it is set

Would it be possible to get an update on the plan for the GT race?

I'll shoot Copper a mail and see what's up. I haven't heard anything one way or the other. 

But while I have you here, don't forget about the next Pro Series race in June. Deadline is June 10th so it will be here quicker than you think.

aircooled
Thanks, you are reading my mind.

I wrote a long post. Not sure where it went. Bottom line. Video making it hard to schedule. Ready to give up on video so can just get racing done. 

aircooled
Do you think the race will happen this weekend?

Yeah man, video is secondary and a bonus, not a requirement. If the schedules are tight, just get the racing done and results posted since we're already behind schedule a bit.

aircooled
Brian, have you heard from Chopper as to the staus of the GT Race?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/Squiggy799/859744eb68c79fd1ebdb13cc7b33e382.jpg

EconoCarl
Can the cars be sent to someone that does have time to race them (and no, I'm not volunteering myself)?
WizardofOZ
Ditto

If this race isn't going to happen soon, I can host it...let me know. 

I totally agree, send the cars back and run the race later.   I think racing these cars is fun, however it seems that trying to get answers like what is going on with this race get no answers. 

I can wait for a reschedule no hurries or worries here I got enough cars to work on for other up coming races I'm fine with waiting on chopper, I just hope everything is alright seeing as we haven't heard anything from him in awhile.

It's been a week since Chopper posted anything and emails aren't getting replies either. I'll keep messaging him and hopefully get some response again soon. It's been almost a month in waiting so I'm of a mind to have him ship the cars to me so we can race and get results on the books and move forward.

I don't have a car running but understand wanting to get results. I was hoping to have more points on the books before going into the Truck race.  We all know he planned a big event that got a good response, just the outdoor racing part didn't hold up well. I appreciate his honesty and wanting to redo the race properly - and we all know time is precious - but we've almost reached the point of no return.

It sounds like the consensus would be to just get cars to host that is ready to race so we can get this one run and done. However, please leave a thumbs up reply with your thoughts. 

And my apologies for all the inconvenience. Most of us know this type of thing isn't the norm around here.

Steele_Mill_Racing
I hope nothing is seriously wrong on his end, but let's got on with the game. This is my first mod entry and am excited
aircooled
Sounds good to me for the cars sent to you and the race run.
Eastbound357
I'm fine with you or c10 offered to run the race as wel, either way if chopper or another host races them we will still have to wait for the
Eastbound357
New host to receive the cars we need to be patient a little longer with either outcome of the race.
delta6
Think we need to move things along and hope for the best on Chopper's end.
cliffordshaw
Hey Chopper - hope you are ok.
WizardofOZ
Ship the cars to complete the race.
fordman
that darn Bridgette !

Okay, so I mailed Chopper directly and by PM, so hopefully one of those hits the target.

I asked him to send me the cars and I'll do the makeup race. Can't determine any dates/times until I hear back from him as to when I might get cars, but once I get them, I'll be racing ASAP.

Chopper got in touch and he's sending me the cars soon. So we'll get things back on track real soon. 

Eastbound357
Awesome news!
gtaman
Woot!
WizardofOZ
Excellent news!
aircooled
That is super!!!

Got word that GT cars will be shipping out to me late today or Thursday. So I should have them by next week and will then race. So look for action after the holiday.

Hi all,

I just returned from a long road trip and had a chance to read all of your messages. Totally understand why you're all anxious for results, your cars are incredible and I know you put a ton if time into making them. 

Brian emailed me a few days ago, and let me know  it would be best for me to just forward them to him to race. I'm back at the office today and have brought them with me to take to the post office at lunch. I'm throwing in a couple FTE cars I picked up on eBay as prizes.  I'm really disappointed and feel like at let you all down. 

I'm mostly sorry to keep you all waiting. For some reason my iPhone logs me out of RLD every time I go to another page and I didn't have my password while on this last trip so I couldn't chime in or read PMs.   

Can't wait to watch the races on YouTube,

Chopper

Steele_Mill_Racing
Glad you are ok.

Have the GT cars showed up back East?

I'll be picking up the GT cars tomorrow after work. Then I'll take stock and see when I can actually race. I'm hoping for Thursday or Friday, but need to check with the family to see what's going on, if anything. I'll definitely be doing a results show since this is the Pro Series, so look for that next week. I think I'll do Instagram photos again during the race for those that don't want to wait (any longer) for final results.

I think the Hot Wheels gods are just F'ing with us now...

I had Chopper send the cars to my home address with intent to help expedite things a bit. Yet the mailman had a better idea and instead of leaving the box on my doorstep, took it back to the post office for pick-up. In theory, no big deal, however, he took it back to the wrong post office. Instead of the main post office, he took it back to some random branch and, of course, they close at 5p instead of 6p like the main branch. So unless I'm able to sneak out of work early and race through traffic, I probably won't be able to pick up the GTs until Saturday.

And that's that. Sorry...but I guess at this point, what's another few days?

Steele_Mill_Racing
HAHAHA! Nothing good is ever easy. Poop happens.
Eastbound357
No hurries, no worries, when you get them you get them.
aircooled
It is what it is, your doing your best to make it happen. Some things are out of your control.
WizardofOZ
Now that's funny stuff.

And the hits just keep coming...

I failed to pick up the GT cars this past weekend because of several trips to the vet on Saturday but also because the stupid post office branch closes at noon on Saturday. So we're back into the work week and the place closes at 5p so I'm going to sneak out of work early one day this week to grab it. So ridiculous.

Sorry for the continued delay.

gtaman
I would leave a note for your postman telling him how much grief he has caused and make him bring the package to you.
WizardofOZ
I'm beginning to think that "GT" stands for "Gremlin Takeover"

I have the cars! Glory days!

I have the box, at least. It's in my car so I should be able to get to it tonight or this weekend for inventory and some racing. Sorry it took so long but the end is nigh.

JDC442
Hot Ziggity!!!
Steele_Mill_Racing
How does it look?

Finally getting to race tonight! Will try to post some videos after but will post all the winner's bracket stuff as soon as I can. Don't know if I'll do a results show...probably not.

Injury report: McJiggles' Ferrari sustained some critical damage in transit...it basically fell apart in my hands, so I did a quick JB job on it to the best of my abilities. I think it's a lost cause but I'll be running it all the same so it's some track time.

Bracket is here: http://challonge.com/rld_pro2016gt

And a friendly PSA about race ID slips. Please, please, please include them with your entries. Or just use an index card, something to identify your car. It makes is very difficult to keep things organized without them...not to mention, hard to return with no address. 

Steele_Mill_Racing
I had to email my ID Card to Chopper. If you need my info shoot me a message. Rock on!
gtaman
Mine had one, I believe it got lost, I have slips for every car in truck o rama (woot!)

Well, after a very long delay, the GT Classic is in the books and the tournament winner is Traction Event! His Corvette beat out the rest, which included tons of other Vettes.

http://img.redlinederby.com/mlg/85c77a13.jpeg

Here is your results bracket: http://challonge.com/rld_pro2016gt

I'll post video this week once I get it all stitched together and uploaded.

I'll try to get cars packed and ship this weekend but if anyone needs their car super soon, PM me so I can push you to the front of the list.

The Pro Series points standings so you can see who's ahead going into Truck-O-Rama at the end of the month.

Here's Round 1 & 2 video. Sorry for the low quality. I told my phone to upload 720 but YouTube apparently had a different idea. It's not labeled or anything, sorry...was going for speed. But you can follow along with the bracket, I just race down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HY8xYWwxc

gtaman
Awesome
Voxxer01
Congrats to Traction Event !!!
Chopper
Congratulations TE! I have a few prize cars that didn't fit in the box to send your way.
Chopper
Brian, email me the names you're missing addresses for. I have all the boxes and can update the spreadsheet sent you.
redlinederby
I forgot about the spreadsheet...I'll look there, sorry.

https://m.popkey.co/4f0b2a/9MJjD.gif

72_Chevy_C10
Congrats TE!
aircooled
Congratulations on the win TE!!
Eastbound357
Congrats on the win TE!!!!!
CCRider
Great Job TE!
Traction-Event
Thanks guys

Shouldn't points be earned from the loser's bracket? What if on round 1 a car was placed against the one that would eventually win the tournament and lose to it but makes it to round 2 if placed against a different entry?

72_Chevy_C10
That's the luck of the draw...TE and I have faced each other A LOT in the first round. That's just how it goes :)
redlinederby
No points from loser's bracket, per rules. Seeding is random.
Traction-Event
your BMW had me nervous... nice build, and good run.

Way to go Chris!!!

Traction-Event
Classic...ha ha.... Thanks brother
redlinederby
Slider...you stink.

All videos have been added to a playlist at the top. Sorry for the lack of names but it's all pretty quick.

Traction-Event
wow seriously close racing... Voxxer took the 1st race in the finals...
At least I looked good ????

Am I getting my car back, or...

redlinederby
Cars are shipping out this weekend. Sorry for the delay.
Steele_Mill_Racing
OK cool

Most of the cars went out today...a couple still in the station because I ran out of supplies. They'll go out next day or so. Sorry for posting all the numbers here but didn't feel like sending a ton of PMs :)

• Pinckney,MI - 9500115028346180005103
  • Papillion, NE - 9500115028346180005110
  • Beaumont, TX - 9500115028346180005127
  • Fort Mill, SC - 9500115028346180005134
  • Green Valley, AZ - 9500115028346180005141
  • Dayton, OH - 9500115028346180005158
  • Canton, CT - 9500115028346180005165
  • Englewood, CO - 9500115028346180005172
  • Fairmont, WV - 9500115028346180005189
  • Washington, UT - 9500115028346180005196
  • Salem, OR - 9500115028346180005202
  • Sussex, NJ - 9500115028346180005219
  • Bellingham, WA - 9500115028346180005226

If you don't see your address city, then I still have your car. Sorry for the delay.

Getting the cars sent back out after a race is the toughest part if hosting a race...no worries, Brian!

Have you updated the Pro Series points anywhere, since both the GT's and the Trucks have run? Just curious :)

redlinederby
Ah yes...thanks for the reminder. GT points were in there, I'll add trucks

Trucks are goin out in the next couple days...

https://youtu.be/0BCYfDXkRj8

gtaman
I could listen to her talk all day, love the accent!
aircooled
That is for sure!!!

got my car back safe and sound today... thanks 

I got my car back today as well...in it's sexy, pink disco envelope! 

Thanks!

redlinederby
Thank my wife for that :)

I also got my car back today in one piece.   Thanks!!!

My car returned without a scratch. Very important since the 850i is no longer being produced after the Final Run series.

https://hobbydb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/processed_uploads/catalog_item_photo/catalog_item_photo/...

I got my car in the mail today as well.

Mine was undeliverable, no such address. Let me know if it ends up back to you Brian.  

redlinederby
Okay, sorry. I'll check the PO this week and resend. PM me your address just to be sure. Thanks.

Just got in from vacation and the TeamHalfFast Corvette had arrived safe and sound. 

Our "illegal" entry did not. It looks like this:

Chopper
I have your car still in its sealed box. In my car waiting for me to get to a post office.

Chopper, I sent you a PM.

Share your thoughts

You must login to make a reply