Tournaments and Racing2016 Pro Series, June: Truck-O-Rama III

• 47 replies
  • Jump to last reply
Jun
When: Friday, June 10, 2016

http://img.redlinederby.com/src/28d83e68.jpg

Welcome to the 2016 Pro Series, Truck-O-Rama. This is the third of 6 tournaments that make up the 2016 Redline Derby Pro SeriesEntry is open to everyone. You do not have to have entrered a previous Pro Series tournament to qualify. The points earned in this tournament go towards each racer's Pro Series total. At the end of the year, the racer with the most total points in will be crowned champion.

This will be a standard, double-elimination bracket. The car that wins the final, wins this tournament. Points earned only go towards the Pro Series total, they do not determine the winner of this tournament. 

The next Pro Series tournament will be held in August.

Truck-O-Rama III

Truck-O-Rama features only trucks, vans and wagons. The first Truck-O-Rama was held back in 2012 and saw veteran EconoCarl take the victory over field of 10 entrants. Truck-O-Rama II was just held last June so it has become a summer tradition of sorts. Lets see how things shake out this year with what should be a field stocked with speed. More metal, more weight, more speed.

Results

Congratulations to Voxxer Racing for a well earned win. He fell out of the upper bracket late but got revenge after battling back out of the lower bracket.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYtilr-hOLU0QLuP11TZYNd5We8wnvypD

• Voxxer Racing, 60pts
  • Delta6, 30pts
  • JDC442, 20pts
  • 72_Chevy_C10, 10pts
  • Aircooled, 10pts

Entry preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLnS1KA0geQ

Rules & Restrictions

• Weight: 70g max
  • Car size: Max 3.5" long by 2" high, 1.5" width. Should fit on Blutrack.
  • Limit 1 cars per entrant
  • Any brand
  • Entry body must be a truck, van or station wagon
  • Standard wheels only. No FTEs or HSWs.
  • Must be drilled rivets, no stock entries
  • Dry lubes only
  • Entry must be a new build. No previously raced entries allowed.

Prizes

The racer that wins this bracket will receive a $10 Amazon.com gift card (digital), plus a RLD Victory Sticker.

How to enter

Post a reply with your intention to enter, then ship your entry car so that it arrives before June 10, 2016. Tournament results are scheduled to be posted on June 30th.

At this time, please PM the host, gtaman, to get the entry shipping address.

Please include an RLD Entry ID Card with your entry along with some money to cover the cost of returning your car if you want it back.

Scoring and Winning

This is a standard, double-elimination bracket. Each match-up will be best 2-out-3, alternating lanes. Seeding will be random as will any byes that are needed. The car that wins the bracket is champ. Points do not determine the winner of this tournament.

Pro Series points are +10 for every win in the main bracket. The tournament winner will receive +20 for the victory. There will be no points awarded for Loser Bracket wins.

Penalties

Cars will be inspected on arrival and checked for weight and other conditions. Any car that fails inspection will be removed from the tournament and returned to the owner.

Each car is given one do-over if they come off the track during a run. If goes off track a second time, it will forfeit that match and be marked as DNF.

Host Track

This tournament is being hosted by the Diecast Dragster Club of West Virginia, on their 50-foot track. The track is using Blutrack along with a manual release gate and Judge electronic finish line. Get more track details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQMWj16PdFM

I have a question.  Why are FTE's and HSW's not allowed?  We addressed this before and FTE's and HSW's were allowed for both the first two race.  This is a Pro Series and all the racers should have no restrictions on wheels for the complete series.  If the idea is to find the best of the best, putting a limit on wheels keeps that from happening.  From what I've seen there are other wheels being used which some folks think are also fast , so are they also not going to be allowed?   Hopefully this restriction on wheels can be removed not only for this race, but also for the rest of the series.

I only have one question.or comment, really. Your rules say they should fit on an orange track...but they don't really need to because it will be run on a blue track. I was planning on running my wheels out a little wider (which wouldn't fit on an orange track) because the race is getting run on a blue track...and I wouldn't want to be dq'd just because of the wording. The cars don't NEED to fit on an orange track, do why should they HAVE to...just my 2 cents. :)

redlinederby
You're right...I don't have width of Blutrack, I'll adjust description
aircooled
There are two different lane widths. The Classic and Pro Track have 1.65" lanes and the Performance Track is 1.50" for each lane.
aircooled
Can we find out which version of the blue track the race will be run on?
gtaman
I will ask lane width
gtaman
1.5 inch lanes, owner just measured

About wheels...the no FTE stipulation for this will stand. I wanted the GT Classic to be no FTE also but my wording was confusing folks, so this time I just went the old fashioned way - no FTEs. Plain and simple.

I know it's hard to enforce but we've run many a tournament with that rule and have not had any issue, so I'm hoping we can continue with such an honor system and play by the rules. 

Does this mean we are talking about wheels like 5 spokes and such?  

redlinederby
Yes. No FTE or HSW wheels. All others are okay to use.

Worth noting that fantasy castings are allowed so long as they qualify as being a truck, van or wagon. What is that in fantasy land? As they say, if it quacks like a duck...

And another good rule of thumb, if you have to ask, it's probably best to find an alternative.

Although if has the word "truck" in the name, you're good.

http://img.redlinederby.com/mcr/460/220/22287313.jpg

I'll be entering this event.

I know you said if you have to ask...but I guess I will anyway. Do SUVs fit into this trucks, vans, and wagons category?

redlinederby
Good question...yes, SUVs qualify.

Okay then, no FTE's.  Advantage Traction Event ;)

Just updated the date to reflect the entry deadline rather than the final race/results. You have a month to build and ship. Good luck!

With this race on a wider track, I'll finally be able to use one of these bodies...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160511_093727-1_zps2qrcsbm2.jpg

A '72 Chevy longbed by Jada...the chassis is a Bullet Proof chassis 

CrzyTrkrDude
LIKEING THAT TRUCK!!
72_Chevy_C10
I have a yellow ocher one that I might use...I'll figure 8t out this weekend
Turbolover1988
That looks awesome!!!! I might have to pick up a few of those Jada models and some bulletproofs to try my hand at a custom build.

I'll post some pics before I send it off...but I have to admit, I think it's one of my favorite builds!

I know what FTE's are but what are HSW's ?? I don't think I have heard of that style wheel.

gtaman
High speed wheels, basically another type of wheel mated with the same nickel plated axle as the faster than ever wheels

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/Eastbound357/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdzejrmot.jpg

Eastbound357
Work in progress
CrzyTrkrDude
Might want to check the finish line height on this 4x4.
Eastbound357
Just checked its at 1 3/8 high thanks for the heads up

Hey Brian,

In your 'PM the host' link above, you still have it going to Chopper, rather than to GTAman. You might want to change that so people don't PM the wrong guy

redlinederby
Woops. Got it, thanks!

I know this looks really simple, but this is probably one of my favorite builds I've ever done...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160526_193429_zpsvgcolatg.jpg

This is a Jada casting...they are kinda wide and definitely heavy...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160526_193526_zps4op74hln.jpg

That's without any weight or interior...no wonder I've never used one before. But, it is well suited to this race. It is boxed up and will go out tomorrow.

The '72 Chevy Cheyenne was a pretty awesome truck in real life. They were the  'loaded' models...bucket seats, A/C, power windows, nice interior, often big blocks...and the Ochre paint is one of my favorites...a nice, full size version of this truck would be tough to pass up!

aircooled
That really looks nice. In real life folks that collect Chev truck want one of these.
Traction-Event
great stance on this build

Voxxer Racing's entry...

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/critterwerks/20160530_225935_zpsntwlmwam.jpg

Traction-Event
interesting axle ends on your builds...

Painting tonight mailing tomorrow 

Unfortunately I'm out of this one.  Was paying attention to weight and width (wanted to fill out the blu-track) that I forgot about length.  I'm at a impressive 3.75" including the nose added to replace the missing front bumper of the source vehicle.  I can't bring myself to rip it off so I'm dq'ed.  The distinctive facial appearance of the spare engine inspired the build.

Anyway, here she is.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/smackpixi/image_57.jpeg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/smackpixi/image_58.jpeg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/smackpixi/image_59.jpeg

Is the length limit removed, I just checked mine before I headed off to the post office(I never really thought to check it) I'm at 3.5" I'll try to throw another truck together tonight if I can.

Eastbound357
I think I can hack off the front brush guard to make it 3.25", I don't think I'll be off roading anyway.

The length restriction has been changed to be 4" to allow for longer bases. So if you have something ready to run that's over the old 3.5" you can send it in.

The length restriction is primarily there to account the size limit of the starting gate, but gtaman says the track can support 4", so 4" it shall be. It's something we should have checked earlier.

I know it's only a week before deadline so I apologize. Hopefully no one made tough decisions based on the 3.5" max noted. In the end, we're all racing and that's what matters. If you care to complain, please do so by PM to me, no need to junk up the thread.

The length does matter.  The longer the chassis/body the higher the back of the car is up the hill.  That translates to more power generated coming down the hill.  This by itself will give a car an advantage with everything else being equal.  Length, width, weight, and understanding the rules is key to building a car.

EconoCarl
"Understanding the rules" says it all! This kind of stuff happened years ago as well.

First.    The length was 3.25 "   Then somehow it went over night to 3.5 " to 4".   I have been DQ for being over less then 1/8 inch.

SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE !!

Once the rules are posted, I understand typos, but after two months on web site PLUS after many cars have already been mailed.

Very unfair advantage.

I would suggest everyone,  as I have begun doing, is to print out the rules once posted.

Jon 

Voxxer Racing.  

redlinederby
Being DQed for 1/8" is dumb. Not a big deal.

I agree that, especially the way I built mine, it has an unfair advantage.  I'd feel bad taking points away from anyone especially those competing in the extended ProSeries.  Even running w/o scoring points screws up the bracket.  Hence I did claim to be disqualified.

That said, I would loved to see it race, especially as I can't run it on my own track.  Also as a past host I'd prefer to have as many entries as possible.  So I'm sending it in.

Run me starting in the loser's bracket?  Run me against any of the locals willing to race me?  I'd just like to see my car run down a track in a race...as many as possible ;)  If you're willing.

gtaman
I will run it in our open races and get it back to you if we dq
MoHasAFastCar
Thanks!

So sorry guys, I didnt think it would be a big deal to up the length given it was a truck/ wagon race, and our track could handle it.  

The rules were copied from the GT race and tweaked.  Those rules were meant to be for cars.

I will go with whatever you guys decide, however if we disqualify some I would be more than glad to race them in our open races we hold every month and film it, then get it back to you.

I'm not sure why it is so hard to get a race run in the Pro Series.  Once the rules are posted  if there is a problem with the rules right after they are posted and corrected that is fine.  However, it would be even better to get them right the first time and maybe put out a draft before they go final. 

As for this race we built our entries according to the posted rules and to change the length last minute because someone has a problem with their build is just wrong!!  I understand that can happen but that is no reason to change the length to 4 inches.  Please put the length back to what it was originally which is 3.25".  Because someone makes a mistake with their build is NO reason to change the rules after cars have been mailed in and others are finishing up their builds. 

I really don't understand how a simple hobby can be so hard to get right and enjoy. 

Richard

"Aircooled Racing"

I do not have a horse in this race, but I agree once the rules are set... they are SET and not to be changed as a matter of fairness to all participants.

Now back to playing with our toy cars... remember this is supposed to be fun. We are a small dedicated group of crazies that build, modify and race 1:64 scale cars... we should not fight and divide ourselves over simple things.  I truly enjoy racing, building and competing against you all.  More division between racers means less participation.

Well that escalated quickly...

Whatever. Rules can be changed back to 3.5" if it's that big of a stink. The car that's longer can be run in the lower bracket or not at all or whatever makes the most sense...or in another race entirely. I don't care.

...Steps on soapbox...

I'm starting to think we should just stop the Pro Series as it is rather than continue on. Maybe it's time for a Flood. Whether through our own doings or from outside forces, this has been a complete cluster from the get go...and for what it's worth, I apologize. However, when folks start saying things like, "wow, I didn't expect it to be such a big deal," it means we have some issues.

Because it shouldn't be a big deal. Should rules be rules? Yes...but we break rules all the time. "Hey, my car got held up by the USPS, can I join late?" The response is usually, "sure, the more racing the better," and with that we broke a rule. Clearly, not all rules are created equal.

We've gone from "common sense" rules to "hardcore" rules and that's not what we want...it's not what I want. Somebody said something needs to change, and they're right...all the bitching and complaining. I admire passion in people but when that passion detracts from the experience and entertainment of others, things start to go off the rails, and here we are.

We're racing toy cars here, people. And we're not racing them for any significant stakes. No one should get penalized if a car is a few grams over or slightly over length. Again, common sense rules. If someone tosses in a 6" car against a bunch of 3" cars then yeah, one of these things is not like the other. The scenarios by which people are denied racing should be very, very few and far between. Remember, the more racing the better.

I know I've done my fair share of "sorry, that doesn't qualify" stuff in the past, and that was a response to the (unexpected) foul cries from the crowd. I was taken by surprise and tried to deal with it the best way I could, but those decisions were wrong and just ended up feeding the trolls. So I apologize. Lesson learned.

We're quickly approaching the "this isn't fun anymore" point and that makes me sad. Sad because I've been unable (or unwilling) to control it, but also sad that it's even come this in the first place. Why we're arguing about a half an inch is beyond me. If you race and win, great, you've won. If you race and lose, you lose...so what? The fun here is building cars, seeing each other's work and watching them roll down a track. No one should be losing their shit over this stuff.

We're always saying the more racing the better but we're clearly more concerned about not getting a $10 gift card or free Hot Wheels car...or nothing at all.

I will change the length rule back, that's fine. But we need to go back to more common sense rules and less hardcore snobbery. This ain't the Olympics. Otherwise we just might as well stop because no one wants to play in that type of environment...and I don't want this to be that type of environment. I'd rather have Redline Derby be known for loose rules where people can still play, than by-the-book-gotta-pass-inspection hardcore racing. Do we need to be fair? Yes...then lets be fair.

...Steps off soapbox...

I need a drink.

Ummm , Brian, I'm pretty sure you are the one that wanted to "clamp down on all these loose, 'wild west,' rules", if I'm not mistaken :) 

Just sayin'

redlinederby
Yes, but we've swung too far the other way

You're right but "those decisions were wrong and just ended up feeding the trolls." A man is allowed to be wrong :) Not to mention, "always easier said than done."

But still...if the rules say 3.5" length max and someone enters a 3.75" car, it shouldn't cause quite the stir.

You do not burn down the house because it is the wrong color, you repaint it. 

I give 100 percent kudos to Brian, for what he has made of this group.

I suggest, we all grab a gallon of paint, brushes and start painting.  We just need to figure out what color it will be.

Jon

Voxxer Racing 

How about a standard 2g over limit and a 1/4" to 1/2" limit over you get to race far as mail if if gets lost(not mailed late) if it's in time for the race,race them that's still loose but it's  fair and we can keep this as a standard, or something along those lines, I just want to race, my son enjoys watching are cars go around the country and I agree with Brian as long as there is no extreme violations i.e. 6" cars racing 3" cars let them, the more the merrier 

Eastbound357
All I'm saying is loose rules within reason should race
JDC442
And to think I spent over $20 to make sure my GT Classic entry made it there before the deadline -still hasn't been raced ;P
EconoCarl
And there were those guys that built cars that didn't fit the rules so they had to send in alternate cars.

Hey guys, on a positive note, I am getting more cars by the day, this should be an awesome race! I got Voxxer's car today, havent opened the others yet Lots o boxes tho.  

I am new to the group but I joined to race so lets git r done!

CrzyTrkrDude
Holy cow, there is gonna be a race? Oh yeah, this is a race thread...

https://www.instagram.com/chadfr33man

Check out my instagram feed for photos of the entries

Traction-Event
great pics... who entered that red truck?
72_Chevy_C10
THe first red truck is Aircooled, the 2nd one is Voxxer :)
72_Chevy_C10
The pics look great, Chad!
gtaman
I made a light box based in redlinederbys first design link in the header of the site, that pic is on a turntable as well

Will be shipping out Monday morning.

Traction-Event
F-40 wheels on the rescue ranger... nice
JDC442
It's an Emergency Squad from my childhood collection. Yes, tore apart some gold F40's to make this beast.
gtaman
I wondered if anyone would do a rescue ranger, it was on my list as well but went with something else

I've ran out of cash for return shipping money. Could I ship stamps with my entry as an alternative?

gtaman
Not sure, how does that work? I guess $4 worth would do it?
Tracksurgeon
1 stamp per ounce, and the car weighs 2.3 ounces, so 3 stamps would do.
redlinederby
If Paypal isn't an option, don't worry about it. You'll get your car back.

My van should arrive Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing this race.

Didn't get to spend much time on this but it'll head out tomorrow morning in a rush to get it there in time

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/danielcollick/Mobile%20Uploads/C7EBBDCD-4D8D-4C16-8047-C421...

Tracking: 

https://trackingshipment.net/usps/9505500024096161000018

gtaman
Nice!
72_Chevy_C10
Cool!
CrzyTrkrDude
I LIKE IT!!

I updated my instagram feed with all the latest entries tonight

Sent you a PM for address. I will be shipping it Next day air. This one slipped my mind. 

gtaman
Replied

For those about to rock...

[Video moved to top of thread]

Enjoy your preview video

Traction-Event
Nice work, and presentation
Finkle
Great presentation! Looking forward to the race.
72_Chevy_C10
Good job, Chad! The trucks look great!
gtaman
Thanks, I did not plan on my truck being the thumbnail
gtaman
redlinederby, how about adding this video to the first post
CCRider
Very cool! Excited for the race.
aircooled
Great job on the video!!! Looking forward to racing on the big track!!

When will this race be happening? In a few weeks?

gtaman
June 24 was when we could get the building. It takes a quite large building to set up a 50ft track, best I could do.
gtaman
Then I will have to edit video etc and post brackets
72_Chevy_C10
Cool...I look forward to it!
JDC442
Awesome! I was hoping this race would have video -getting spoiled seeing these races in action!

Does this mean if we missed the mail-in we still have time?

redlinederby
Yes, you can still send in cars.
gtaman
I will run it if it is here in time.

Races are in the books, here is the bracket, I am working on some video for the races.  We shot a few angles with some slow motion so it should be pretty cool.

MoHasAFastCar had a wheel break off (axle come out) after a couple runs, WizardOfOz had the rear wheels come out of socket so the truck drug on the ground.  Congratulations to Delta6 and Voxxer Racing.  Voxxer came back from the losers bracket to win overall.  We had a lot of fun and excitement running them tonight.  4 of us filmed and ran the cars.

delta6
Cool! That's un-tested rig slapped together in a few days.
MoHasAFastCar
Well, I tried a new method of securing the axles, apparently needs some work

Must have broke a leaf spring ........LOL!

Congrats Voxxer! On a roll.....you been showing everyone the fast way to the finish line lately!

Voxxer01
Thanks.

Results Video, redlinederby please move to first post.  I slowed it way down so you could see what was going on.  I may do another video with more real time footage.  I put a few places with real speed so you can see how fast they are really going.

Enjoy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_iRdrl-EGI

72_Chevy_C10
Good job, Chad!
aircooled
Chad thanks for doing such a great job on the video!!!
WizardofOZ
Great job!
gtaman
We had a good time running them, you guys missed us yelling ater close races
Voxxer01
Great Racing !!!

FULL SPEED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sjYPu_pLWY

72_Chevy_C10
Cool stuff!
redlinederby
Very nice, love the various camera angles...makes me wish I had more cameras!

My truck arrived Saturday safe and sound thanks for the fast shipping.

gtaman
Nice

Share your thoughts

You must login to make a reply