3 wheels?

Dusty Monday, 12/19/2022

While searching for various Idea's cam across the bikes, I would like to model and race. however, my design would take a trike approach. Are there any limitations that say during the competition that a 3-wheel build? The model will be a thingyvers bike on a hot wheel base. thoughts please, also thinking how too reace some stawars ships :) 

Discussion

View member profile
SpyDude 12/19/22

Currently I don't know if anyone is racing bikes or trikes.  The only trikes out there at the moment seem to be the Matchbox Polaris trikes, and I can tell you from experiemce that those do NOT roll well, if barely at all. There are the little police meter maid carts, as well, which do seem to roll better, but technically have four wheels (two wheels shoved together to make "three.")

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with on 3d printed models for three-wheelers........ sounds like it may bring a whole new level to racing.

View member profile
Chaos_Canyon 12/20/22

I'd say if you wanted to race trikes, then I would set them up with the two wheels in front and one at the back, to reduce roll overs etc. 

View member profile
dr_dodge 12/20/22

As chaos said, 2 wheels in the front, one in the back,
the hard part as I see it,
is that a pair of wheels in the rear will tend to want to go straighted with a poorer alignment,
one wheel on the rear is gonna have to be dead on straight to the fronts
would the rear wheel be better flat, of knife edged?
I would think knife edged would be less stable than a flat rear

View member profile
Dusty 12/20/22

Agreed, I was thinking of the Hot wheel dragsters with two wheels in from and one in the back, of course, weigh is an issue and a rudder wheel config may help with the drift. I will share, one day at a time :)

• I was thinking the same thing, a long rail — dr_dodge
View member profile
dr_dodge 12/21/22

what is funny is currently in "dr's skunkworks" is a 3 wheeler, 90%  done.
(only one who knew I was doing it was the cat, so his security clearance is revoked for selling/leaking secrets...lol)
stub axle front, and a single "medium sized" rear tire.

rear suspension like this (below)

I will post some actual pics this evening

View member profile
dr_dodge 12/22/22

My trike conversion.  Bonus point if you can guess the car it goes under.

(hint, IMO, the worst HW car out of the box, ever.  In stock config, I could place in on a 45° angle track, and it still would not move) 

it sure does now, though

• This looks very interesting, and would love to see a video once completed. Oh, and my guess is the HW Wild Thing. — SpyDude
  • wrong on the car guess, (I will post it's pic this evening) — dr_dodge
View member profile
dr_dodge 12/23/22

Solar eagle 2.0
Girl will get a full poured canopy 

to join the conversation or sign-up now