6+ wheel car performance?

Rainsford Tuesday, 3/9/2021

Physics question - how do cars with more than 4 wheels perform on the track? Both on laned tracks and wide tracks? I could see the open road curves potentially being an issue as I would think the extra wheels would make them want to go straighter. Any experience with this? (I know there are a few out there that come with 6 wheels or more stock.) I have a steampunk idea for customizing my Subaru Sambar truck but want to see if it's raceable or just a shelf queen and make adjustments to the design accordingly.

Discussion

At the most basic level, more wheels = more friction.  So, there's more to overcome to be fast.

View member profile
redlinederby 3/9/21
Site manager

Give it a shot! Now, I would have no expectations of a 3+ axle car going fast(er) on a drag strip but on an open track where it's not always about speed...I'd be interested to see what it does. It's probably a long shot but worth trying out.

HCT(Hot Car Track) on Youtube has footage of 6 wheelers, ToeJam and Semi-psycho. First season of "Hot Rods" and second season of "RoadWarriors" respectively.

to join the conversation or sign-up now