6 Lane Raceway Finishline "Support Stand"

model40fan Wednesday, 6/19/2013

Jump to last page

HOW-TO MAKE A STEEL SUPPORT STAND TO USE A 6 LANE RACEWAY'S FINISHLINE WITHOUT THE 6 LANE TRACK ;
I HAD A PIECE OF ABOUT 16 GA. / 1/16" THICK STEEL 11.75" L, X 4.5" W IN MY SCRAP BIN FOR A BASE,
I TOOK SOME 90* BENT SHEET METAL, CUT IT INTO 90* ANGLE STRIPS ABOUT 9/16" W,
I THEN BENT THEM INTO RECTANGLES THE SIZE OF THE UNIT'S "LEGS",
TEST FIT,
TACK WELD, TWO SPOTS ON THE CORNER WHERE THEY MEET,
LET COOL,
TEST FIT, ALIGN THE WELDED CORNER WITH THE CHAMFERED EDGE OF THE LEGS,
FILE WHERE NEEDED,
Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
....A SUPPORT BOX;Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
SLIDE THEM ONTO THE UNIT,
MARK WHERE THEY WILL SET ON THE BASE,
HAVE A PAPER CUP "FULL" OF WATER HANDY,
I ALIGN THE BOXES SO THE WELDS CORRASPOND WITH THE CHAMFERED EDGES OF THE "LEGS",[LESS FILING]
TAPE A PLASTIC BAG AROUND THE UNIT EXCEPT FOR THE LEGS, TO PROTECT IT,
SET THE UNIT WHERE YOU WANT IT ON THE BASE, MARK IT, [I CLAMP A SQUEEZE CLAMP ON EACH END TO BUTT THE BOXES AGAINST SO THEY STAY RIGHT,
ONLY ONE "QUICK" TACK ON THE WELDED CORNER TO HOLD ONE END'S BOX DOWN, INSTANTLY LIFT THE UNIT OUT AND DIP IT IN THE WATER, TO HELP KEEP IT FROM MELTING,
* [TO GAS WELD OR BRAZE, TAPE THE BOXES DOWN ON 2 SIDES, TEST FIT AGAIN, REMOVE THE UNIT AND THEN GAS WELD OR BRAZE.
LET COOL,
TEST FIT,
FINISH WELDING THAT SIDE, LET COOL,
TEST FIT,
SLIDE THE UNIT INTO THE WELDED LEG SUPPORT,
ON THE OTHER SIDE, ONLY ONE QUICK TACK WELD, INSTANTLY DIP IN WATER,
TEST FIT,
IF RIGHT, FINISH WELDING, [DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY,IT "WILL" WORP],
TEST FIT,
USED NEEDLENOSE PLYERS TO FINE TUNE THE BOXES,
I USED A RAT TAIL, ROUND, OR CHAINSAW FILE TO MAKE A CHAMFER TO LET THE LEG'S PUSH BUTTON SLIDE INTO THE BOX,
TEST FIT,
GRIND / FILE TO SUIT,
TEST FIT,
BEFORE YOU PAINT, STUFF A PAPER TOWEL INTO THE BOXES, PAINT MAY MAKE IT FIT TOO TIGHT,
I MAY GLUE A RAISED, SLIGHTLY NARROWED CONNECTOR TO EACH LANE TO KEEP THE PADDLES CENTERED IN EACH LANE,
NARROWED SO THE TRACK SLIDES OVER IT EASY AND DOESN'T TRY AND TEAR THE GLUE OFF ;Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
I welded 2 small flat washers as anchors for the elastic on each end of the unit to help stabilize it ;Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
race ready;Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox

Discussion

Page 1 of 3
View member profile
model40fan 6/22/13

LANE RETAINER, KEEPS THE LANES TOGETHER AND CENTERED WITH THE PADDLES ;Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
LANES 1 AND 2 ;Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

THE SCREW THAT HOLDS THE RETAINER DOWN IS SHOWN HEAD UP FOR THE PICTURES, THE BASE IS COUNTERSUNK FROM UNDERNEATH FOR THE SCREW...

View member profile
model40fan 6/24/13

CHANGED MY MIND... I WELDED [6] 1/2" FLAT WASHERS TO THE BASE, CENTERED UNDER THE PADDLES...THEN WELDED [6] 1" WASHERS TO THEM, FOR THE TRACK TO "SLIDE" ONTO... Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
.THIS LETS ME RUN ANY [2] LANES I CHOOSE, IN CASE A "LIGHT" GOES OUT...
Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox
LANES 1 AND 2...Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

View member profile
model40fan 7/19/13

HAD A FELLOW RDR RACER PM ME WITH INTEREST IN A [6] LANE RACEWAY FINISHLINE SUPPORT STAND...
[HE LIKED MINE=COOL], I HAD SOME SCRAP METAL, TIN SNIPS, FILE, TAPE MEASURE AND 1" SANDER...BOUTNOUR...POOF !
TO RUN 6 TRACK ANCHORS IS TUFF [MUST BE PERFECT] SO KNOWING WE RUN "TWO WIDE" I WELDED [2] SMALL WASHERS AS SPACERS AND [2] 1" WASHERS AS THE ANCHORS UNDER LANES 1 & 2... BUT VELCRO COULD SET UP THE OTHER [4] LANES FOR THE FAMILY'S CHRISTMAS PARTY... ; Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
"THE STAND" ;Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
TRACK SECTIONS ANCHORED ';Diecast Cars Hot Wheels Matchbox
LET'S ROLL !

View member profile
model40fan 7/22/13

made another support stand sunday... i mention it just in case another RDR racer needs one... put it on e-pay !Diecast Cars, Hot Wheels, Matchbox

so...how close are we to 6 lane racing at the Sloppy Speedway?

View member profile
model40fan 7/22/13

NOT AT THE ..."A-OK CORRAL"...[GARAGE ATTIC] OR AT THE GRIDIRON SPORTS PUB...
BUT AT "TIME KILLER" RACES, I WILL RUN THE 6 LANES... AT A CAR SHOW/ CRUISE NITE I'LL GO 4 WIDE AS LANE 3 AND MAYBE 4 CAN GET HUNG UP ON THE STARTER LEVER...OR YOUR FINGER...
THE 6 LANE RACEWAY SET IS ALSO EASIER FOR "ME" TO JUST WALK AWAY FROM AND LET THE KIDS RUN IT THEMSELVES...

View member profile
model40fan 7/23/13

support stand headed to los lunas...

View member profile
K_Harvest 7/23/13

support stand headed to los lunas...

Your The Man Thank you

View member profile
Dadvball 7/30/13

Looks awesome Smitty! Would you please pm me with what you're asking for for one of these, cash and/or trade? Sure would make it easier on me having to do one for the new LJLRC track as I don't weld. Thanks.

View member profile
model40fan 7/30/13

is $15 plus shipping fair ?... ebay thought so...

View member profile
Dadvball 7/30/13

Sounds very fair. If you have prime paint that will be fine as we'll probably paint it to match the red or yellow we used on the regular track. Don't knock yourself out getting it made 'cause I haven't even started the track yet. Still in the planning stages but shooting to have it built before the end of August.
Thank you Smitty!

View member profile
model40fan 7/30/13

you're welcome DAD!

to join the conversation or sign-up now