Page 6 of 7

2015 RLD Outlaw Pro Stock Challenge results thread

Jump to first page Jump to last page

View member profile
KandORacing 6/5/15

Just to clear things up... I wasn't pointing any fingers at anyone. I just was a little surprised. I am actually thinking it was more the Postal Service' poor handling, and I do apologize if I sounded as though I was putting blame on anyone. Thanks all who helped host and participate.

• The original paint from Mattel is crazy tough stuff...I know my paint can chip with basic handling... — Traction-Event
  • And they have raced at 5-6 tracks at least twice...and shipped across the country...most look like it at the end — Traction-Event
  • I bought 10 cars fron 1 source on e bay. 8 cars arrived in a smashed box. — Nightstalker
  • I'd be pretty thrilled to get my car back looking like the Grizwald "family truckster" at the end of the movie... — MoHasAFastCar
  • Not sarcastic, you wanna set my car on fire and jump it into a pond, ok, just make sure to post a vid — MoHasAFastCar
  • Lol — KandORacing

So, I got third in last weeks race at 2sevens on I guess a longish or average or slightly above average length track...about where I thought I'd finish based on my time in the first race at the Lightenings long track...where if I hadn't run into the Traction buzz saw in the first round I think 3rd or 4th would be where I ended.  But I had pretty much the slowest time on Nightstalker's short track.  It's pretty dramatic.  What kind of characteristics make cars fast starters and good on the short ones?  I assume good straight alignment and nice rolling wheels are what makes for good times on longer tracks...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Good question...and it usually has to do with wheel diameter. These wheels will only hit a certain rpm on their axles...and the smaller diameter wheels will come up to speed more quickly than the larger diameter wheels. But, once the larger wheels finally do reach their maximum rpm, the cars are going faster than the ones with smaller wheels.

This is something that makes it so cool that we run these cars on different tracks. If all the tracks were the same, a certain set-up would start to prevail. But, since they are different, and not always the same, you have to try to set your car up with the best 'middle-of-the-road set-up.

I've generally been going with big wheels on the logic of less rotation over the same distance means less friction at the axle...and I've noticed bigger wheels spin better, more mass, more rotational inertia...but yeah, if bigger wheels tend to spin longer, it also means it takes more to get them going.

Btw, I think the fact that skinny wheels have less mass at the outside, at the track surface, and in comparison to normal wheels, a greater % of their mass closer to the axle is why the are such bad spinners.

View member profile
KandORacing 6/6/15

I have found that generally large wheels do better on long tracks, and on short track like Stawka's, the small wheels will do better. Also heavier cars do better with bigger wheels, and lighter cars do better with small ones. That is one reason I chose the small wheeled '65 Mustang Fastback for my 40g entry in Bare Muscle.

View member profile
KandORacing 6/6/15

Alrighty racers & race fans, just a quick update. I never heard back from Stawka on his Nova's axle, but I think I'll fix it anyway. Right now it is just too darn hot out in the shop, so I will do it a bit later this evening when things cool off. Tonight I will draw the pairings and post up the first round bracket for tomorrow's race action! Good luck everyone!

View member profile
KandORacing 6/7/15

1st round match-ups!

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/kandoracing1/Scan0011_zpsx7o0rwwt.jpg

• Going to run the 1st round real shortly! — KandORacing
View member profile
KandORacing 6/7/15

Oh! I almost forgot... I ran the 3rd place race between both of Bill's cars to make up for the 3rd place race that was never ran a few weeks ago. the #85 Mustang took the win after LOTS of lane swaps.

View member profile
KandORacing 6/7/15

The final round is coming up! I have to say Kudos to Mo on almost beating TE's pickup! The first run, you beat him by about 1/4 car length. 2nd run, he got you by a full car length. The same on 3rd. Very great job anyway!

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/kandoracing1/Scan0014_zpsdpv7pjfs.jpg

to join the conversation or sign-up now